In honor of the month of November, I have decided to write a post every day about something I am thankful for. Thirty Days of Thankfulness here we come!
Last weekend we were in Chicago. Such a great city. Our friends, Jackie and Russ, who we met when we lived in Singapore, invited us to join them for the weekend. We lived in the same neighborhood in Singapore and we went to the same church. We even taught a 10th grade Sunday school class together one year. Jackie had her own car, (most of the rest of us ex-pats only had one car for the family) so she graciously gave me (and others) rides to a lot of activities. We spent quite a bit of time in the car talking and talking and talking. Jackie is the one who asked me if I wanted to take a quilting class with her. So it's her fault, or better yet, it's because of her that I fell into the world of quilting. I am thankful for that.
Anyway...enough back story.
We started off the weekend seeing a friend of our son's. Stephen is going to medical school in Chicago and we were able to find a couple of hours to get together with him. We bought him supper and watched him eat and peppered him with questions. While he was trying to eat. Nice, huh? It is always good to spoil a college kid. We didn't eat with him because we had plans for some great Chicago pizza with Jackie and Russ.
Stephen's meal cost us more than any other meal we ate that weekend, thanks for the "gift" the city of Chicago left us on the windshield of our car. Yippie Skippie. I guess these small town people sometimes forget that in actual big towns, sometimes the city wants money to park a car on their streets. **Sigh**
Anyway.....
We found Jackie and Russ' condo (They have a condo right smack on Michigan Avenue).
Here's a view from the roof of their building.
We dumped off our stuff and headed out for pizza. The pizza was fantastic and the company was even better. It was so good to see them and start getting caught up on each others lives and all our kids.
Saturday we walked down the street for a lovely brunch that we even ate outside, it was such a beautiful day. (That's Russ and Jackie and my hubby.)
A couple of shots from their condo... Quite a view, huh?
The afternoon found us on a Chicago River Architecture Tour.
(Remind me to tell you on another day about how the Chicago River fits into our family history.)
Here's some of the pictures I took.
(And yes, that was just some of the pictures I took on the river tour.)
That evening we had Asian food (appropriate, don't you think, since we met in Asia?)
Saturday night we saw a play on Navy Pier and had some classic Chicago popcorn afterwards.
Sunday morning we worshipped at a branch of Willow Creek Church.
Check out the facility:
The church met in some auditorium in downtown Chicago. It was a wonderful worship service complete with a message from Bill Hybels.
Conclusion:
I am thankful for...
...a fun weekend in Chicago.
...my friend Jackie. I cannot say how much she meant to me during those three years in Singapore.
...being able to see Stephen.
...my hubby who does the majority of the driving on our many road trips.

No comments:
Post a Comment