I remembered something I had read in a book a few weeks ago. The book is called Surprised by Worship written by Travis Cottrell. (Travis is the Worship leader for Beth Moore's Living Proof Live conferences. When I have gone to one of those conferences I can never decide which is better -- the teaching or the music.)
Anyway...
I read this book a few weeks ago and really enjoyed what Travis had to say about worship. It is so much more than what happens on a Sunday morning at church. Rather than try to summarize the book (go buy it and read it... you'll be glad you did!), I'll just tell you what stuck out to me in this time of grieving for my friend.
Quoting from the book:
"For those of us who have accepted God's gift of life through His Son Jesus, even grief in its rawest and most palpable state cannot help but be laced with hope. This doesn't mean that death no longer hurts. It hurts terribly. Sometimes the pain of our loss seems so devastating that we wonder if we'll ever recover. But our hope is in El Olam -- the Everlasting God. Our God who saved us, frees us, and holds us is eternal. And because He shares eternity with us, we don't weep as those who are without hope. We worship the One who has firmly "set eternity in our hearts." (Ecclesiastes 3:11).
Take that in. His Word tells us we are made for eternity. This is why death is so repulsive to us. We hate it; we resist it; it tears us apart. Why? Because we were not made for death. It insidiously invades our existence, but it is not the final event."
I think Travis hit the nail on the head, so to speak.
C.S. Lewis said in his book Mere Christianity, "if I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world"
***Just wanted to write these thoughts down and share them with my blog readers.***
I am thankful for...
...the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ
...the hope of eternity
...this blog so I have a place to write out my thoughts
No comments:
Post a Comment