| This is a model of the city of Chicago. |
Hubby's great-great grandfather, C.J., used to live in Chicago. C.J. was born in England and left there when he was 17. I think he lived in New York at first and then moved to Chicago in 1869. There he began his business of making canvas awnings and tents.
When the great Chicago fire came in 1871, C.J. saw that his "business could be destroyed by the fire, The small stock of cloth which he had on hand and the few sewing machines which he had been able to buy were all that he possessed. Wrapping the sewing machines in the tent cloth, he dumped the entire stock out of a window into the Chicago River and anchored it to a post with a rope. After the fire he drew his stock, practically unharmed, from the water and resumed business in the street. The fire had created such a demand for his wares that he sold all that he had in short order." (Quoted from C.J.'s obituary.)
A year later, C.J. became a Christian after reading the words from John 6:37, "...whoever comes to me I will never drive away." After this he gave himself whole-heartily to the Lord's service. He still ran his tent and awning business, but he spent several nights a week preaching on the streets of Chicago. I've read that he was possibly one of the first to start a mission for homeless people in Chicago, charging a nickle for a cot for the night. And if someone didn't have the nickel, he provided it himself.
In 1887 C.J. moved to Kansas City. "But business was not his object in moving. His object was threefold, First, to print and circulate all the tracts he could, Second, to give all the money he could and Third, to preach the gospel to all he could. The business was only the means to these ends." (Quoted from a copy of an article we have.)
Before C.J. left Chicago, he "selectively approached seven or eight employees and invited them to come with him to Kansas City. He wanted capable tent and awning workers, but it appears that the chief qualification for going to Missouri was their agreement with him on spiritual matters, and their abilities in gospel outreach. Several were excellent singers. One of the men's wives...was an outstanding children's worker." (Quoted from an article I found online about him.)
C.J. had a successful business in Kansas City. His factory had scripture on the walls. His catalogs had scripture across the bottom of every page. He was very concerned about the souls of the people who worked for him. He conducted street meetings. He worked hard all his life. He stated that there was plenty of time to rest in heaven.
I write this here because C.J. is our son's, Caleb namesake (C.J. stands for Caleb Jason), and I admire him and his dedication to our Lord.
I am thankful for...
...the legacy of C.J.
...for the generations of Christ followers
...for this story to be a part of our family
(I see my husband in the kindness in those eyes.)
2 comments:
What an amazing story!! Yes I see those eyes in your own family. It will be an honor to meet him in eternity
Oh Jenny -- The thought of meeting CJ in heaven brings tears to my eyes! It will be an honor!
Post a Comment