Monday, July 2, 2012

July Journal -- The Road Trip(s)

As I mentioned yesterday, we just got home from a 3,300 mile road trip. Well, technically, we had three road trips back to back to back.

The first part of our time away was going to Kansas to attend the wedding of a friend of our daughter's. Our daughter was a bridesmaid. The bride and groom invited the parents of all the bridesmaids. It was fun to meet the parents of our girl's friends. Quality people. Every one of them.

I opted to bring a bit more stylish but small purse to the wedding, therefore, I did not take my camera. Bad choice. Here's a pretty bad camera-phone picture of my girl and her hubby:
Lesson learned. Next time opt for a bigger, less stylish purse, or leave the over-sized wallet behind so I can have a decent camera with me.

After church and lunch with our son and daughter-in-law, we drove all the way to St. Paul for a week's worth of meetings for hubby, and a week's worth of shopping and eating out for me. Hubby was busy from 6:30 a.m. to 8 or 9 p.m., but the week was quite relaxing for me.

When hubby wrapped up his meetings on June 22, we jumped in the car, drove back to our house, dumped some dirty clothes, repacked, mowed the lawn and jumped back in the car and hit the road again and headed west.

Now the adventure began.

We got lost only and hour from home. Yep. We did.

We missed a detour sign and somehow ended up driving around on gravel roads for thirty minutes.

Not our best moment...

After we found our way back to the paved road we really wanted to be on (with the help of GPS) we consoled our selves with chocolate:
Chocolate always helps, doesn't it? :)

Thankfully, the rest of the drive went much better.

Until we tried to find a hotel for the night.

I don't think we'll ever try the old let's drive until we get tired and feel like stopping method again. We ended up driving halfway across Nebraska, 145 miles more than we had wanted to because all the hotels were full in Omaha, Lincoln, and York. We finally found a hotel at 12:30 a.m. Needless to say we were wiped out.

The next day we had a lot more driving to do and this was our view a good part of the day:






At the end of the day we were rewarded with this view:

We spent a week with our kids in Breckenridge, Colorado. Tomorrow's post will be full of pictures of our fun week.

4 comments:

Drew and Rachel said...

Judy, how blessed you are to have time and resources to travel and great people to travel with!!! God is good!
love, rach

Judy said...

Oh Rachel, I totally agree with you! God has blessed us.

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

fun! I can't wait to hear more! Is that your quilt on your lap that you were binding? Don't feel bad about getting lost in Iowa. All the roads look the same! :} hehe

Joyce said...

The view looks totally worth it!

I just spent two full days driving up and down I-81. The trucks!! AAAACK!