Thursday and Friday I took a little road trip by myself. I drove to Iowa to spend a couple of days with my mom and dad. Those two are a bit hard to find at home. (Kinda like Hubby and me I guess...) Shortly after I arrived, Mom and I took off for a mega shopping trip at Target. Where else? I think it was totally worth the 3 hour drive just to shop at Target, don't you? It's my happy place.
That night we took in a concert put on by the community band down by the river. Here are my folks waiting for the concert. I don't think my dad wanted his picture taken. Hi Dad! :)
A little boy who was about 5 or 6 was passing out Toostie Roll Pops to every one. So cute. My mom said he's been doing that every summer since he was in a stroller. I picked a green one.
I was unnecessarily skeptical about the quality of the music the band would play. The majority of the people in the band are either currently or retired music teachers and band directors. It was really good stuff.
Can you see the man on the saxophone that was the band director when I was in high school? ha. He and his wife are good friends with my parents.
The main reason I decided to spend a couple of day with my folks (aside from just visiting and eating my mom's wonderful potato salad) was to deliver this quilt I made for my mom.
I found the pattern for it on the Moda Bake Shop website. I collected most of these blue and yellow fabrics 10-11 years ago to make a quilt for the guest room. I never did make that quilt because I bought one instead. I cut the 5" squares with the die cutter I rented a couple of months ago from a quilt shop. I decided use those fabrics to make this for my mom. Her favorite colors are blue and yellow, after all.
On the back I added a strip of zig-zags. I love how it turned out! Such a fun surprise when you flip it over.
I sent it to the Missouri Star Quilt Company to have it quilted. They did a terrific job. I will definitely send more quilts to them!
I even made this cute label to attach to the backside. Love how that turned out!
I just had to get a picture of my mom with the quilt. Doesn't it go nicely in their sun-room?

3 comments:
Stopping in via Joyce's. The quilt is beautiful. So cheerful. Bet your mom treasures it forever.
Didn't know this would all make your blog!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the beautiful quilt!!!
What a beautiful setting for the concert. I love the quilt!
Post a Comment