Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July Journal -- The Mountains

I just love the mountains. I love the majesty of the mountains. I love the non-humidity of the mountain air. I love the smell of the mountain air. I don't love that the mountain air has a lack of oxygen. I had a difficult time adjusting and didn't really feel good until the day before we left. Sigh.

We rented a house in Breckenridge for the week.


 It was just great to all be together. We took turns cooking meals, we read books, we watched very little TV, and we played a couple of games. (Ever play Pictophone? It's a pictionary version of telephone. So funny!) Some people went fishing, some went hiking, some people went kayaking and some rode horses.




(The kids thought we were funny to take so many pictures....)

Hubby and three of the kids went on a couple of hikes (the fourth kid wanted to fish). Someone had the brilliant idea to hike a 14,000 foot peak. (The following pictures are from my hubby's camera.) (I don't want to give the illusion that I climbed a 14,265 foot mountain peak.)

They were blessed with seeing a Ptarmigan...
(or was it a Mountain Chicken??)

 ...and some mountain goats with babies!



Meanwhile, back at the rental house, I was fixing lunch. I made this spicy pulled pork from Pioneer Woman and it was very, very good! The hiking gang was a couple of hours later getting back than they estimated and I was trying to not panic. (I didn't.) My son-in-law and I were passing the time watching a rodeo on TV. Real bonding time. :)  Thankfully, the gang made it back in one piece, snarfed lunch, took showers and then crashed for naps.

That evening, we walked across the street to see a movie. Low key is what those hikers needed.

Like I said earlier, I just loved being able to all be together I am thankful everybody was able to take the same week off for some family time. Thanks to you all!!

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I love the mountains too. You got some beautiful pictures and it looks like such a nice getaway. How fun to have everyone together somewhere relaxed and low key.