Today's Daily Photo Journal is about my next entry in our cooking adventure through Pioneer Woman Cooks. If you forgot, because, really, it has been an eternity since I posted about this, my daughter, daughter-in-law and I are cooking our way through Pioneer Woman's cookbook and writing about it here. I have no excuse for slacking off because I'm not the one who is in Pharmacy School or Medical School. I haven't been studying my brains out so I can someday help with the health with their fellow human beings like Megan and Amanda.
Maybe that's it, my brain isn't near as active as those two amazing young women... anyway...
Today for lunch I made Breakfast Bowls. I would say that I doubt seriously I would ever make these for breakfast, because it took me quite a while to do all the chopping and assembly and, hello??? Breakfast? That comes quite early in the day, you know! (Mornings and I don't get along very well.) (But, if you know me or have read this blog for very long, you are well aware of that.) (I'm not quite as energetic as my sweet, newlywed daughter.)
So I spent the late morning chopping onions, baking a potato, chopping tomatoes, slicing up leftover breakfast sausage links we had in the freezer, crumbling bacon, breaking open eggs, grating cheese (which honestly took about 10 seconds in my oh-so-cool food processor), slicing basil, and chopping mushrooms (Ree doesn't call for these in her recipe, but they were in the fridge. This is the kind of recipe you can add almost anything you want to it.)
After all that hard work is done (I suppose if you really wanted this for breakfast you could spare yourself all this intensive morning labor and do all this work the night before. At night. Like a sane person would do.)
The ingredients are layered in an oven-safe bowl. I used a Grab-It bowl. Pour the egg and milk mixture over the all and top off with cheese and throw it in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
It turned out quite yummy! (I think I could have baked them a little longer.) Hubby says it was the perfect dish to have after working in the yard this morning on this cold and rainy spring (?) day.

3 comments:
Those look yummy!!!
Mmm, looks great.
Oh, and at our house we like to do breakfast supper. ;)
hey Judy, is this just a breakfast strata / egg bake? did you guys really like it? how would it taste without cheese? if you think it's a pretty easy, simple, fast and delicious recipe would you mind emailing it to me? Thanks so much!!
rach
Post a Comment