Thursday, March 31, 2011

PW Breakfast Burritos (Pioneer Woman)

Megan, here. These breakfast burritos were a little bit of an adventure. A few days prior to making these, my hubby was having a hard night and I lovingly promised him I'd get up and make him pancakes the next morning. For those of you that don't know, he gets up at 5:20 and leaves for work by 6:00 every morning. I'm usually up to see him off by 6:00. However, 5:30 rolled around the next morning and I was less than enthused about getting up to make pancakes. My amazing husband patiently said, "It's ok honey, you can keep sleeping." And I did. About 4 days later (on a Sunday morning) I finally fulfilled my promise and made these breakfast burritos! But of course I didn't look at the directions until I started to cook and failed to realize that the potatoes had to bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Needless to say, I didn't allot that much time, so I had to take some shortcuts to get us to church on time.
Here's the yummy breakfast sausage being browned:

Then I combined 5 (!) eggs, a cup of grated cheese and green onions and set that aside.
So here was my trick to getting these done in less time. Instead of baking the potatoes, I microwaved them for about 10 minutes. It worked reasonably well. I felt like the only downside was that the potatoes were a little too mushy to chop up very nicely. But then again, everything just gets mixed together in the end anyway.
And here ensues the mixing: The breakfast sausage, red bell pepper, breakfast potatoes and the egg mixture. Can you say unhealthy? But man....it was delicious.

Topped with some salsa and washed down with OJ. You could even add some extra cheese on top if you wanted.
We also had a little bit left over and I decided that these burritos were just as good (if not better) reheated. So don't be afraid to make a little extra!

1 comment:

Judy said...

Those look yummy! And I will say you are very ambitious for the morning, let alone a Sunday morning! I'm impressed! :)