Sunday, March 27, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits (Pioneer Woman)

It's Megan again!
I made these delicious biscuits for a weekend lunch along with some sausage gravy that my husband whipped up.

I've always loved the biscuits my Mom often made for us when we were growing up so I was anxious to learn how these compare (and I think she is too). This particular recipe included both shortening and butter. I cut the cold butter into smaller pieces to make the blending quicker. In the end, the thing I liked most about the biscuits were the tiny chunks of butter in the final product... really makes for a "melt in your mouth" kind of biscuit.


Helpful hint! If you don't own a circular biscuit/cookie cutter, just use a glass! It worked wonders. Now I just want to save a few bucks and always use a glass.


The verdict? My Mom's are better, but that's just my personal taste (or maybe I haven't mastered this recipe quite yet). I like the fluffiness of my Mom's biscuits over the flaky-melt-in-your-mouth-ness of these.

3 comments:

Judy said...

That sausage gravy looks yummy! Was it spicy? Oh, and I'm happy you like my biscuits better. :) I think I may try these just to see how they are. I love your pictures! But no pictures of the puppy? ;)

Olson Family said...

This post made me a wee bit homesick! It was the HyVee label on the salt and Anderson/Erickson milk - how silly is that. I used to run into friends at HyVee and we'd stand around and talk - that never happened in CA. I sang with an Erickson (of AE) in IA and there are no family owned dairies in CA - not that you can buy in your local market anyway. Sigh. Bits of me are still not sold on living in CA again but it's happening.

Oh Yeah, this was a post about biscuits! :) They're making me hungry.

Megan said...

The gravy wasn't very spicy. We just used breakfast sausage and rue. I think it would be delicious more spicy.