**Another great addition from Megan for our Cooking Through PW Cooks Adventure.**
Let's start out this post by explaining a little bit of my pickiness about scones. I think it comes from working at a coffee shop in high school that had the best scones. I have no idea what it is that makes them so perfect. I can't stand an overly crumbly scone. Or one that tastes just like a cookie. Or one that has virtually no taste at all. Needless to say, when I embarked on the adventure of making these scones I was excited but ready to be disappointed.
Here's the ingredients:
I used 1% milk instead of whole milk for our health's sake.
I used 1% milk instead of whole milk for our health's sake.
Here's the aftermath:
Now the best part. The icing. This icing is especially delicious because it has maple flavoring and a splash of coffee in it.

Wonderfully golden (but not overdone) scones!
The finished product:

I decided to do a little experiment. I love warm scones so I assumed these would be best straight out of the oven. The one I ate straight out of the oven was too crumbly for my taste. It needed to have more integrity in the dough. The recipe technically says to wait until they're completely cool, put icing on, and then eat. Surprisingly, the cooled scone was much better. I think the ingredients were able to bond together more and form a less crumbly scone. Perfect amount of sweetness in the scone and the icing.
Seriously delicious. I will make these again for sure.
Seriously delicious. I will make these again for sure.
2 comments:
megs, I am scared to talk since I am seriously a baking idiot. I have a toaster oven and use it once every couple months...
but I did make scones -- one time -- and I formed them into a round cake pan, avoiding the transfer crumbling issue.
? yah? possible solution?
Good idea Rachel! I'll have to try that next time.
Post a Comment