Hubby and I spent today with my mom. My dad wanted to go to a football game with my sisters, but was very hesitant to leave Mom all alone all day. He has been with her every single day (10-12 hours a day) since she had the stroke on September 6th. Hubby and I volunteered to spend the day with her. It went pretty well, but it was a hard day, too. I could tell Mom missed Dad and I am not very good at reading Mom and what she is trying to communicate. (Dad is amazing at that.) We helped Mom with lunch. I gathered the food for her and she fed herself. She has greatly improved with being able to feed herself. So much so, that earlier this week she had her feeding tube taken out!
We brought a few things with us to occupy Mom. We had a stack of catalogs with us (all the catalogs in the mail are a good indication that Christmas is coming soon). I gave Mom a couple and she paged through them and looked at all the pages. It's good to see she knows what to do with something like that and seemed to be interested in the stuff on the pages.
I had made my Dad some Swedish Rye Bread (Mom's recipe) and brought a piece for Mom to snack on. I took the baggie it was in out of my purse and she made a noise that indicated she knew what it was and ate half a piece and said something like yum. That was so fun to watch.
I also brought my laptop and some of our old home movies that we had transferred to DVD several years ago. She and I watched that together. I heard her chuckled a few times at the silliness of my kids and their cousins.
I am thankful for...
...my mom's chuckles
...Mom's version of "Hi" when she first sees me
...my dad being able to get away for the day even if it was hard for him to be away from my mom
...old home movies
...a late night talk with my sister
1 comment:
What a sweet, sweet visit. <3
Post a Comment