Hubby and I went on a mini-road trip on Saturday to celebrate our engagement anniversary.
(This was a quite mini road trip compared to one we are planning for this summer.)
(That one will be about 3,000 miles.)
(This one was 200 miles.)
Anyway...back to Saturday...
Our destination was Lanesboro. A small river town that has tons of Bed & Breakfast Inns, some cute shops and a bike trail along a river. There are pretty bluffs along the river.
While we did poke around in a few shops (Hubby found me a really cure pair of earrings) and drove around the small town and had a very yummy lunch, we spent most of our time on the back roads in the area. For a measly $26 we rented a CD from one of the shops and followed its directions for a back roads tour of Amish country.
The CD directed along the roads with use of the car's odometer. We learned about the Amish people and made 9 different stops at 9 different Amish farms. These places had little shops of their own where the families sold honey, sorghum, small furniture, quilts, produce, baskets, eggs. It was so fun to look around at the goods at each place. One place had very beautiful child-size chairs and tables. The man there had also made some little barns for children to play with. The detail was so fun to look at. We wished we had some little ones to buy one of those barns for. ;) (Someday.) We did come away with a jar of honey and a jar of sorghum along with some homemade candy and a cherry turnover.
It was a pretty humid day, but being able to hop in and out of the air-conditioned car made it more bearable.
The trip was very interesting and fun to do together. I don't have any photos because we were told that the Amish find cameras offensive.
Thanks to Yelp, we had supper at a very good barbecue restaurant in Austin, MN, home of SPAM. (Seriously, Austin is where SPAM is made.) (Thankfully the restaurant was in no way associated with SPAM, although there was some on the menu.)
4 comments:
That sounds like a fun way to spend a day. When I was a young girl, my family used to take day trips out to Lancaster PA to the Amish countryside. I remember the wonderful food-naturally!! I don't know my engagement date...I know it was early to mid-December, but that's all I've got. Enjoy your day...trying to catch up a bit around here.
My hubby and I lived in Lanesboro for 1 year...many years ago. The area was not a "tourist attraction" at the time, but there were cute shops, and after we moved away, we went back and bought a bent-wood rocker at "Just Plain Folk" downtown. All the chairs are made a bit differently, so you really have to sit in each one to get the right fit. Hubby even had Amish customers at the bank he worked at, and would make farm calls. They don't change their clocks like we do for DST, etc, so he would always make sure he had the right time for those appointments. I could tell lots more stories about that town...great vacation place now, but in 85-86 it was just home for us!
There's an Amish settlement here in IL about 2.5 hours from here ... we haven't been in a long time. DH and I both have got the "trip bug", so I think that this might be just the little trip we need to make (while we wait for our "big" trip in September).
oh my. and the hint hinting for grandkids begins!!! hhaha
Post a Comment