Riveting news, huh?
It's been raining so much around here he has to grab the chance when he can.
After he was cleaned up we jumped in the car and headed to spend the weekend in Iowa with our parents.
Hubby's parents are starting the process of getting their house ready to sell so they can move into a senior living apartment. Hubby wanted to help his dad with some jobs around the house and yard.
On Saturday while Hubby was hard at work, I ran off to have lunch with a friend from high school days. Thanks to the wonders of Facebook I knew she lived in a nearby town, so we were able to connect after many years. I know I saw her at our 20th high school reunion, but that was 14 years ago. It was very enjoyable to sit and talk and even more encouraging to know that we are both Christians. Truth be told, I was relieved that we were able to talk for more than two hours. I was nervous that it would be awkward to talk through a lunch now that we are
Saturday evening we headed over to my sister-in-law's house for supper. A bonus was being able to see our sweet niece! She's in between her second and third year of college and we don't see her often enough.
Sunday morning we drove to where my parents live. I made arrangements with my mom to meet then at their church and surprise my dad for Father's Day. It was a success. Dad was surprised. :) He stopped short with his mouth hanging open when he saw us. (He was a bit curious that morning when my mom cleaned up a few things around the house. He wondered what had gotten in to her. Grin.)
We enjoyed a yummy lunch of grilled steaks, potatoes, salad and chocolate covered strawberries. That afternoon my sweet, serving husband helped out my dad with a bunch of yard work. Mom and I had fun just sitting in their sun room and talking.
The simply lovely day was topped off with my dad making an ice cream run and bringing home the best chocolate/brownie ice cream I have ever had. I'm glad the leftovers stayed at their house!
It was very enjoyable to spend Father's Day weekend with our parents. A plus for us was coming home with home-grown rhubarb, asparagus and horse radish. The rhubarb is cleaned and shopped up and in the freezer, the asparagus is on the menu for tonight and I still need to figure out what to do with the horse radish. Dad told me how to peel it, and prepare it. I just need to get to it.
Oh, and I got the biggest hug ever from my dad as we were saying our good-byes. :)
1 comment:
What a wonderful weekend! I love that you were able to surprise your dad! That would have been awesome to have seen the look on his face! ;-)
Fresh asparagus - yum!!
I'm so glad to know that I am not the only one who's a little nervous at the prospect of meeting an old high school friend. I've reconnected with a couple of high school friends on Facebook, and we've been talking about getting together ... I'm excited at the prospect but nervous about whether we'll have enough to talk about for 2 hours. ;-)
Post a Comment