Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Summer Hodgepodge



1. Summertime is a season of reunions, weddings, and other family celebrations and gatherings...are any of the above on your calendar in the next two months?
Last summer we had two weddings to go to. This summer we have none. Well, we were invited to one, but it was in Kansas the weekend after we were there for our daughter-in-law's graduation, so we opted to not go. 
Hubby and I are joining my side of the family at my sister's beach house in North Carolina. I think almost everyone will be there (parents, siblings, in-laws, nieces, nephews, great-nieces). Only my kids won't be there. (Oh well. Those girls of mine are busy with learning to be a pharmacist and a doctor.) 

2. June is National Iced Tea Month...are you an iced tea drinker? If so, how do you like yours (sweet, flavored, etc)? 
Good grief, I constantly drink Iced Tea! And not just in June... all year round.  I like black tea and no sweetener. Sometimes I like a little Earl Grey or Blackberry Sage. And decaf is better for me and my heart. When I was thinking about how much I drink Iced Tea, I decided that I am just like Uncle Si -- minus the beard and the jug of tea. I just get it from the fridge with plenty of ice, thank-you-very-much.


3. When were you last nervous?  Looking back, was the 'event' actually nerve-worthy?
I was nervous last week when an old friend came by for an hour or so. We seldom get company here, I forget how to be a hostess. (This was the first person besides the two of us and a plumber to be in this house since the day after Christmas. I cannot express how much I dislike that.) The visit turned out okay. I still feel like I am very rusty when it comes to being a hostess.


4. The bristle toothbrush was invented in China on June 26, 1498...not sure how that date was pinned down so precisely but, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being sick to your stomach and 1 being not at all, how nervous do you feel when you're headed to the dentist?  Do you see your dentist twice a year?
I'm usually not nervous when I see the dentist, so I'd say I'm at a 1. I don't have a history of a lot of dental work. Having said that, I was nervous when I had to get a crown done a couple of years ago. The plan is to see the dentist twice a year. We've kind of slacked on that here because we don't really like the guy we've gone to so we try to spread out the visits longer, if that makes any sense. 

5. What's making news in your town this week?
I have little to no idea. I don't read the local newspaper. Hubby takes it to work in the morning and tosses it there. The paper isn't very good and doesn't have a lot of local news, because in a small town there is only so much news to report. The one thing I would be interested in knowing about is when road construction on our road will be done, but if history is an indicator the paper won't be accurate about that anyway. Our road is the only road into the main part of town from this neighborhood. Our road goes between two lakes and the construction has been on a bridge over a channel between the lakes. So now to get to town we have to go into the country about 4 or 5 miles out of our way. Not a real big deal, but it will be nice when the drive to the ice cream place is only 3/4 of a mile rather than 4 1/2 miles. There are important things in life, you know. Grin.

6. Curtains, drapes, blinds...your window treatment of choice? Are there any bare windows in your house? Is that by choice or because you haven't gotten around to covering them? 
All the windows in this house have something on them except the kitchen window over the sink. I prefer that window to be bare. The rest have either matchstick blinds, wooden blinds or cordless shades. All the windows (except the kitchen) have some kind of fabric treatment. Some I bought, some I made. I really like the window treatments in this house. I am happy that NO windows have vertical blinds. I have had those in my previous two houses in the US and I am do not like them at all! (I never wanted to spend to money to replace them.)


7. Summertime is officially here (in the Northern hemisphere anyway)...what one song is a must-have on your summer playlist?
Monday night Hubby and I went out for supper together at one of the two decent restaurants in town. The playlist that night was 70s rock. We knew every single song that played the whole time we were there -- everything from Carole King to Chicago to Electric Light Orchestra to Elton John to Fleetwood Mac to Kansas. So I think a song from any of those would be great! (I know, I know -- I didn't choose just one. Sorry.)
8.  Insert your own random thought here.  
This is one of my favorite photos that Hubby took when we were on our cruise in March. This was off an island in the Bahamas. Just look at that water....

12 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

I know....the water in that area of the world is soooooooooo turquoise. And you don't believe it until you are actually THERE.

Great groups of recording artists too by the way!

Marla said...

Love the picture!!

Joyce said...

Not a fan of vertical blinds either, and I've never had any in any of my many houses.

I get the hostess thing. My mom and I were talking about that on Friday, because I stopped at her house for lunch on my way south. She invited a friend of hers I'm close to too, and my mom made a nice lunch, but said she felt discombobulated-like she'd forgotten how to be a hostess. You have to have regular practice I think.

Mary said...

What a beautiful picture!

Veronica and Daniel said...

Oooh, I wish I was on a cruise right now...with a tall glass of sweet tea :) That picture is stunning! Happy Wednesday!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Where are you going in North Carolina?

I'm with you on #2 - iced tea all year long - with no sweetener and plenty of ice. I switch to decaf after lunch time. I though the same thing about me the first time I watched Duck Dynasty!! ha!

That picture reminds me of the waters we saw on our cruise. The waters in the Caribbean are unbelievable, aren't they?

Theresa said...

That water is gorgeous! I think I would jump right in :) I like all the music you listed too- great choices.

Nonnie said...

Being a hostess is something I've learned to grow in over the past few years. In the past, it was more difficult for me to relax and just enjoy the people, rather than trying to make everything "perfect."
What a lovely picture. (When we flew into Cozumel, my husband looked out the window at the beautiful blue water and exclaimed very loudly, "The Tidy Bowl Man has been here!" Everybody on the plane thought that was funny.

Laura Anne said...

Oh wow. Love that picture.

Being a hostess - I love having people round, I'm a terrible hostess. My idea is that you help yourself! :)

retired not tired said...

If you lived in Canada you would not ask when the road construction will be done as the joke in Canada is that we only ever two seasons - Winter and Construction!

J.Day said...

I lived in a tiny town for a couple years whose newspaper was only printed three times a week. Most people got the Klammath newspaper (city 3hrs away and in a different state) for other news.

Linda H. said...

70's rock...oh, the memories.

That is an excellent photo. Thanks for sharing it.