Today was kind of a fun day for me even though it was Monday. I went out for a late breakfast with my book and enjoyed some reading time and some pumpkin pancakes. Mmmm. After breakfast, I picked up a few things from the grocery store and came home to work in the kitchen while I listened to blues music.
My culinary project was a cherry pie. Why? Because a few weeks ago Hubby and I went out for some pie and the restaurant didn't have any cherry pie. He was bummed. So this morning I decided to make him one.
Whenever I mix up pie crust I think of my mom because the recipe I use is her mother's recipe. So as I was rolling out the crust I stuck my Bluetooth (such an awesome invention) in my ear and gave my mom a call. Mom and I ended up chatting for and hour and a half or so. Fun to chat and get caught up. (Mom is 80 and had a major heart attack three years ago, had by-pass surgery and some other bad complications. I am glad I can still call her to chat.)
For supper I made some chicken nuggets that are a copy-cat Chick-fil-A recipe. (I found the recipe here.) I made them a couple of weekends ago when my son and daughter-in-law came to visit and ended up burning the bajeebers out of a couple of my fingers from jumping hot oil. (Oh. That reminds me. I haven't blogged about their visit yet. Hmmm. Some day this week I will do that.) Anyway.... I made those chicken nuggets tonight with nary a bit of jumping oil. It helped that I wasn't hurrying. Lesson learned: never hurry when hot oil is involved.
I am thankful for...
...cherry pie for dessert that was still warm. Mmmm...
...my grandmother's pie crust recipe
...phone conversations with my mom
...unburned fingers
...a dishwasher to clean all those dirty dishes
1 comment:
What a nice day. Sounds like the best part was the chance to chat with your mom. My mom will have been gone for 6 years this Christmas Eve ... I frequently find myself thinking that I'd like to talk to her about this or that or show her my latest quilt project. How blessed you are to still have your mom.
Post a Comment