Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Month of Thankfulness - Day 20

Hubby and I spent a good part of today sitting at stoplights. We were shopping around Kansas City. And that means we were driving a lot around Kansas City. We enjoy shopping together and it was good to knock some items off our list.

The kids were all busy with their jobs and school during the day, so we entertained ourselves well  by using GPS and finding the places we needed and a little lunch at Chick-fil-A. Yum.

At the end of the day we met our daughter and son-in-law at an Asian market. I think I mentioned in my post about our visit to St. Louis that we enjoy wandering around different ethnic grocery stores. Asian ones are particularly fun because of having lived in Singapore for three years. Son-in-law spent quite a bit of time in Thailand when he was a college student. He's a terrific cook and likes to fix Thai food and other Asian yummies. He knew of the Asian market, so the four of us met there and spent about an hour wandering around. I had no intentions of buying anything, but Hubby found lots of items that were too good to pass up. The prices there were quite low, so that helped.

I'll treat you with a few photos from the market. You're welcome.

Every shelf in this aisle is full of different kinds of soy sauce. I remember it being like this when we lived in Singapore. I had no idea what to buy. So I bought Kikkoman. Sad, I know. Hubby picked out some robust flavored stuff today. I'll be anxious to try it.


Anyone know what Durian is? In Southeast Asia they call it the King of Fruits. Those weapon looking things are a bit smaller than a volley ball. And. Oh. The. Smell. Hubby's boss always said it was something along the lines of dirty sweat socks that had been left in a gym bag too long. And let me tell you that smell is STRONG.  I never tried it when we lived in Southest Asia. Never could bring myself to do it because of the smell. But there are people who love it.


 The labels on these little bottles say "Green Green." No idea. They were near a bunch of Lucky Bamboo plants, so maybe a kind of plant food?



The day ended with the six of us going out for dinner at one of Caleb and Amanda's favorite restaurants. So fun to all be together.


I am thankful for...
...a day in a big city with my sweet hubby
...my son helping me with my new cell phone
...fun experiences with the gang
...interesting new foods to try
...being with my kids


P.S. Hubby and I are headed to a family reunion over the Thanksgiving holiday. I don't think I will have internet access, so even though I intended for this to be a whole month's worth of daily thanksgiving posts, it probably won't be. I will definitely post about all the Thanksgiving Family Reunion Fun when I get back to internet connection.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

1 comment:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Have fun at the reunion ... and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!