Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Latest From the Not-So-Great White North

It's been quite a winter already up here in the North Country.
This was a month ago.
And now we are on storm number, oh I don't know, 568? And it's only December?

I see a loooong winter ahead.

Here's a shot of what came through here yesterday:

There's a road under that snow.

It took the snowplow driver 5 tries to ram his way through that drift.



Needless to say, we were snowed in. The snow plows were pulled off the highways Saturday because of the 30-40mph winds and blowing snow.

Here's my hubby using our way-to-often-used snow blower to clear off the driveway.
Have I mentioned that I have never (kinda on purpose) never learned how to use this? Yes. I am smart.

Yesterday we hunkered down in the house. Hubby worked on building some shelves for his shop and I took a nice warm bath and did some baking.


I made Swiss Cheese Mustard Bread (the rectangle loaves) and Italian Bread. Yum. Yum. Yum. I wish I would have thought about more baking when I was at the grocery store on Friday and I would have bought more ingredients.



Before the storm came at its strongest, we went to a concert Friday night. We bought season tickets for the Opera House (just a big old theater) in town. We were highly skeptical of Friday's performance because it was a Country Music performer. The hubby and I? NOT fans of country. We promised each other that if our ears were hurting by intermission, we'd leave.

Well, we actually, sort-of, kind-of liked it. Despite the fact that we only sorta recognized one song in the whole first half of the concert. The second half was Christmas music.

Hoping I get out and about tomorrow, but with a low of -15 tonight and a high of 7 tomorrow, maybe staying inside in the warmth sounds better....

1 comment:

Gigi said...

Pretty, pretty...but how well I remember being snowed in - and cabin fever!!! Winter (and snow) get really old when they last 7 months out of 12!

Your breads look delicious and I'll bet your house smelled fabulous!

Enjoy the day curled up with a good book and some hot tea! We're having flurries (I should hang my head in shame for even typing that word after seeing your pictures!) today and that's what I'm doing!