Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Not Just A Weekend Recap

Hubby took last week off of work and we escaped. It took us a long time to figure out where we wanted to go. My first suggestion was to head north. A lot of people in Minnesota say that the north shore of Lake Superior is their favorite place. We talked about that for several weeks. Finally I said I just wasn't quite feeling it. Let's go south. Let's go to St. Louis for a week.  Eventually, we decided to make more of a road trip out of it and go to Memphis as well. (And did that end up being a God-sent decision for so many reasons; the biggest one being that it snowed in northern Minnesota last week. So glad we missed that!)

So, in true bloggy fashion, I'll recap our week in several posts. Complete with photos.

(Speaking of photos, I've come to realize that Hubby and I don't take a lot of photos of us. Just the stuff around us. Maybe it's because we haven't mastered the self-portrait thing and let's face it, the angles required for self-portraiting just are not all that flattering. I have a self-portrait photo I'll post in a few days. That ought to keep you hanging on and coming back for more. ha.)

Our first day was spent driving to my sister's house. It was kinda out of the way for our route, but we thought it was worth the extra miles and time anyway. On the way we drove through the town where my parents live, so we called and arranged to meet at a Panera for lunch. (You should know that Panera is on my list of favorite places and will pop up several times here in my recap.) Since our alma mater was playing football that evening, and my parents (who have the same alma mater) have been going to home football games for something like 40 years, Hubby decided to wear his new ISU polo shirt.

Yep. My dad has the exact same shirt! Mom was even decked out in Iowa State apparel.I was not. (I should probably get something to add to my wardrobe.) Notice the Cyclone license plate? Yes, my parents are die-hard, loyal fans. 

We had a very enjoyable lunch with them (worth the stop and extra time, as well) and got on the road again. 

We arrived at my sister and brother-in-law's place late afternoon and enjoyed a yummy dinner and a tour around their house. We hadn't been there in a long time and they had done a lot of remodeling. Brother-in-law did it all (bathroom remodel, lay wood flooring, kitchen counter-top, etc.) and it looks fabulous! Sister and I talked quilts. She has a stack of old feed sacks from our grandmother and has decided to make a quilt from them. (Go to this link to learn a bit about the history of feed sacks.) I tried to answer her questions and give her a few tips. I look forward to seeing the finished product. A bonus for me: She gave me a pile of feed sack fabrics she wasn't going to use! I am very excited about figuring out some way to use it! It will be a wonderful way to honor my grandma, whom I never knew. She passed away when I was only 2 1/2.

Sunday morning we hit the road a half an hour later than we had planned just because we were enjoying a yummy breakfast and good conversation.

We drove to St. Louis. First stop? Lunch. Any guesses where? No, not Panera, but St. Louis Bread Company. 
It does looks a bit like Panera, huh? St. Louis Bread Company was the original name, then there were some buy-outs and joining...blah blah blah...name changed to Panera. (Google it if you want to know more.) But in the St. Louis metro area, they kept the name St. Louis Bread Company.

Second stop in St. Louis was the zoo. We used to take our kids there a lot when they were little. It's a great zoo and admission is free! We had so much fun wandering around and remembering being there with the munchkins. We first took Caleb there when he was a little over two years old. He was so excited at the thought of hugging the tiger. (No, we didn't let him.)

After we tromped around the zoo for a few hours, I was treated with a pedicure. I totally meant to take a picture of me and my pedicurist because she was someone really sweet and special! My niece! She lives and works in the St. Louis area. She did a great job on my pedicure. I wish I lived closer so I could have her do that more often. We had a great time just chatting away. (Thus no photo.) Nice not to have to suffer through awkward small talk. :)

Monday and Tuesday will be the next post. 

(So I guess my title isn't quite accurate. This is a weekend recap. Saturday and Sunday. Oh well.)

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your time away. We don't have much in our little tiny town but we do have Panera so yay! Yesterday I stopped to pick up dinner (hubs went to the Jets game) and while I was in the parking lot I called my daughter1. She was at Panera in MD and while we were talking my daughter2 phoned and SHE was at Panera in SC....now if we could all just be at the same one at the same time : )

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Oh my word! You were in my neighborhood! I'm just a hop skip and a jump from St. Louis (over on the Illinois side of the river).

We have a St. Louis Bread Co. in the larger town just up the road (5 min. away) ... we LOVE Bread Co. eat there every chance we get! We even plan our stops en route while traveling based on whether there's a Bread Co. nearby for breakfast the next morning. ;-)