Thursday, October 25, 2012

Family Made Antique

On our way back home from our vacation, we stopped briefly to say hello to my in-laws.  As we were telling them about our trip, my father-in-law remembered he had a quilt that his grandmother had made. He asked me if I would like it. I tried very hard to not jump up and shout too loudly. Hubby said he could tell how excited I was about it.

The quilt is just beautiful. Probably made in the 1940s. There are several fabrics that have deteriorated over the years, but I just love all the handwork.






I have read in magazines about how some people like to recreate antique quilts. I just don't know if I could do all that applique. Whew! What a lot of work! The quilting is in a diagonal pattern about an inch apart. The stitches are so tiny and even. Very impressive!

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Family made makes it all the more special : )

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Oh my, I would have jumped up and down at the sight of that beautiful quilt! It's breathtaking.

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

Judy - that is just beautiful! What a story that quilt tells! She must have really enjoyed quiltining to put all that extra stitching in it. I honestly want to make a real piece of art in a quilt someday though I doubt I'd be able to do all that apleque. Do you have any plans to repair it or replace the missing fabrics?