Anyway.... I had one of the best long weekends I've had in a really long time. Last Thursday morning I packed up my suitcase, pillows and all, and headed to The Big Cities. Why? To spend a couple of glorious days with my old college roommate, Carol. (Well, not to say she's old.... she's only 16 days older than me.) We roomed together in lovely dorm-life for 2 years. I will say she made dorm-life so much more tolerable. Carol listened to me talk and talk and talk and talk. Yes, I talked so much she would fall asleep in the middle of one of my epic stories. She was (as is) good at listening. She and I were both involved in a Christian college group. We prayed for each other. We supported each other. We had fun together.
It had been 9 years since I last saw Carol. Her hubby had some meetings in The Big Cities the end of last week and asked me if I would entertain his wife while he was busy. I jumped at the chance.
We had so much fun together. It was great to catch up on each others lives and kids. It was fun to shop together. It was fun to eat meals together. It was just fun to be together. It was truly a gift for me.
Carol left the sweetest comment on my previous post. (I am a bit slow at writing my recap...) I want to copy it here, not because I am bragging, but I want to remember what she said. (I have been printing out my blogs into a book form after each year and I don't print the comments.)
These are words I will cherish. Carol, they are just exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.I had a blast visiting with my dearest college friend. Sharing stories and pics makes the years go pleasantly by. I learned that she has a deep love and admiration for her husband and he cherishes her. Her children bring her great pride and joy. Caleb & Amanda, Megan & Zach can rise up and call her blessed. Her deep love for Jesus has gotten stronger over the years and she sings His praises everyday. We laughed. We cried. We shopped. (MOA, IKEA, Crate and Barrel-LIKE!!!) "Friends are friends forever if the Lord's the Lord of them....the welcome never ends....a lifetime's not too long to live as friends.". Love you. Thanks for the good times. -Carol
(Okay, wiping away my tears now...)
Here's a picture of the four of us:
Old friends are the best!
Sadly we had to say good-bye to them Friday night because they had a flight out Saturday morning. I sincerely hope it's not another 9 years before we see them again.
Saturday morning was filled with getting our cars worked on. Maybe I should rephrase that. Saturday morning was filled with Hubby getting our cars worked on. I showed up with his car about noon, only to be told that it would be 1 1/2 hours until lunch. This was not happy news to me, because I didn't have any breakfast. The free popcorn just didn't quite cut it. But I took it like a trooper with
Blessed lunch finally came around 1:30 pm. Supper was at 4:00 pm. Crazy? Yes! We met my parents for a quick early supper. They happened to be in the area for a wedding and I thought it would be nice to at least see them for a little bit. And it was nice to see them, except for the whole eating another meal two hours after we had finished lunch. Needless to say, Hubby and I split a meal for supper.
As if the weekend hadn't been good up to that point, it got even better. I learned that our former pastor, Dan, was preaching in a town that wasn't too terribly out of the way for us (50-60 miles extra? Is that too much?), so we decided to worship at that church. I think it's been over three years since I have heard him preach. It felt just like home. Worshiping with Dan was such a treat. We used to sing on the same worship team, so hearing him sing next to me was just perfect.
2 comments:
College friends are extra special...they are with us at and through a time in our lives that is like no other. Glad you had a wonderful weekend catching up!
Nice blog. Yes I read your blog....just not in a timely fashion. Catching up today and loving the pic and rehashing the memories. Love you.
Post a Comment