Monday, August 8, 2011

Eight on 8/8

I thought I'd entertain my blog readers with Eight Random Thoughts on August 8th. Original, huh?

1. Last Friday I went antique shopping. Well, the majority of the time was spent looking, looking, looking. There are so many things in an antique store that are fun to look at! I saw these glasses a few different places and I know someone in my family (grandma? aunt?) had these, but cannot for the life of me remember who had these:
(My mom can't remember either.)

2. I saw this beautiful 1930s quilt on Friday and thought about it and thought about it. Saturday, Hubby and I went back to buy a gift, and I decided to buy my first antique quilt. I am crazy about this one. I love the block (Snowball) and it is in such good shape. A friend commented that she wonders about the stories behind the fabrics: Whose dress or shirt or child's playsuit was it from? Who was the woman who stitched it together?


3. Yesterday when we went back to the antique stores, we arranged to meet some friends for lunch. We had first met them in the late 90s at a family camp we were both at. Several months ago we realized we only lived a couple of hours apart and it finally worked out to get together. It was a fun time to get caught up and experience a new restaurant (for us).

4. I have been going to a summer Bible study at the country church we have been attending. We have been learning about the Fruit of the Spirit. Good, good stuff. During the video for Week 3, God graciously gave me some clarifications in an area I have struggled with for years. It has to with loving others. I have experienced quite a bit of heartache in the area of relationships that I believed God had brought into my life, only to end in disappointment. God showed me that it wasn't for naught. I was obedient to what He asked me to do. And that is what is ultimately most important. On the drive home that day, I just cried at God's tenderness toward me.

5. Yesterday after church we went out for lunch with a couple from that church! I have to read that again myself, to believe someone actually asked us to join them for lunch. No one, and I mean no one, has reached out to us in this town in the more than a year we have been here. It was a great time talking about our kids and how God has worked in our lives and their lives.

6. I decided that Mondays are good days to do laundry and hang out in my jammies all day. :) It's also a good day for going to the grocery store which means I'll have to change out of my jammies. A conundrum for sure. ;)
7.The Waltons has become my new favorite afternoon television show. I know it's not a new show, but I sure enjoy a TV show that is so different from current shows.


8. In two weeks I am going to spend a couple of days with my college roommate! I am beyond excited to see her! It's been at least 9 years since I've seen her face-to-face. Her husband has meetings in the Twin Cities and I am going to keep her entertained while he's getting a sore back from all that sitting. I can not wait!



I hope you all are having a good 8/8! (What have you been up to?)

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Glad you've made a friend. We have found that difficult here too. Slow going.

Enjoy your reunion-college friends are some of my most favorite!

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

so glad you are getting more hooked up into that church :) Keep us posted!

Love the quilt, too :)

Thena said...

Love the quilt, would be interesting to know the story behind it. Saturdays are sometimes my jammies day. Isn't it nice to have them once in a while.

Olson Family said...

Great answer to prayer that someone has reached out to connect at church. We just visited the church we used to go to when girls were babies/toddlers - still a few familiar faces. Still feels so different. Pray that this is just the start of new connections and friendships. :)