Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge of August 17



1. Using what's in your fridge right now what sort of meal would you be able to make for guests who are knocking at the front door this very minute?
We just got home from a wonderful, wonderful four day weekend and there is hardly anything in the fridge. If I put the phone book in the fridge could I use it to order a pizza....? I think that counts, don't you? 

2. What is something about yourself that you hope will change but that probably never will?
My struggle to see the glass as half full. I'd like to be more optimistic.

3. What's something about yourself that you hope will never change?
My weird sense of humor and my ability to sing and my love for God and my husband.

4. Do you usually send serious or funny greeting cards? Why?
I like to receive cards that make me laugh, so I like to give cards that make others' laugh. I have an elderly friend (83) who gives the best funny cards. I wish I knew where she shopped. I like to send cards that say what I mean and not just something super-sappy. 

5. Bird watching, shell gathering, or star gazing- your choice for whiling away the hours?
Star-gazing for sure. The stars are just beautiful and I love to catch sight of a shooting star.

(Side story: A few years ago I was struggling with something and remember sitting out on our deck late at night looking at the sky and I asked God to show me His power and started singing out loud the words to How Great Thou Art and when I got to  "I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, Thy power throughout the universe displayed" a magnificent star went shooting across the sky. How cool is that? I laughed and applauded God!)

Hubby and I sat by this lake Monday night and watched the stars come out. It was amazing.

6. Do you double or triple check things? If so, what? 
I make sure I unplugged the iron (and we all know how often I use the iron). And a lot of times at night I ask hubby if the doors are locked. 

7. What's your favorite place for people watching?
The airport.

8. We spent a long weekend Up North at a resort that Hubby's company owns. He and a whole team of people were rewarded with a trip there because of a project they all worked on that produced really good results for the company. AND each member of the team got to bring a guest! Hubby had been to this resort before for work and ranted and raved about how wonderful it was. I was so happy to get to experience it! (I'll blog more about it later this week.) One thing I was hoping for was to see a loon (the Minnesota state bird) or to hear a loon. I was blessed to experience both! This is my best picture of a loon.


I found this video on YouTube so my readers can hear the call of the loon. It's just beautiful

8 comments:

Zoanna said...

Oh, I love the lake picture! Stunning beauty! And I have a similar story about what I love to watch (birds) durig a struggle I was having a few years ago. I was feeling alone and forgotten and said to God, "Yes, I know in my head You are there. I know Jesus shed His blood for me, and that should be enough. But would You kindly show me a sign that you hear me?" Just then a bright red cardinal alighted on a dark green tree where I was staring. Ever since then I have equated a male cardinal (bright red) with the blood of Jesus and His nearness to me in times of loneliness.

Joyce said...

What a beautiful picture! Looks like such a peaceful spot.

I laughed at the iron comment. My hubs irons. He is so much better at it than me. It's true and I am not too proud to admit it : )

Susan said...

The lake photo is beautiful. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. And the words to "How Great Thou Art" always inspire me. One of my very favorite hymns.

Stacy said...

The phone book in the fridge totally counts! Beautiful pictures...must have been tough to come home. Thanks for sharing them. :)

Thena said...

LOL at #1. Love you side story. Sometimes we just need to know God is near.

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

Neat answers! I may have to do one of these hodgepodges on my own blog sometime. Did you see any shooting starts? This time of year is the Perseid meteor shower, and it's peak was last Thursday or so. But we looked while we were camping and saw a few dim ones because that big full moon was too bright to see them!!

Amiee said...

I wish I was more optimistic too.

Love the picture of the lake and the story that you shared. Awesome!

Rebecca D said...

I love loons... We have some on the pond near our house and we love listening to them at night.