Friday, January 14, 2011

The Best Birthday Trip Ever.

Didn't you all just love Amanda's inaugural blogpost? I sure did! I am so excited about doing this cooking through Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook with Amanda and Megan!

The next recipe is my turn...

...as soon as I get myself out from under the mountain of laundry from our trip to Chicago. Why did we go to Chicago? Oh, just to celebrate my 50th birthday...!

This is the wonderful view of Lake Michigan we had from our Fancy Schmancy hotel room we stayed in:


Monday morning I got up while my hubby was in the shower and was sitting in front of this stack of presents.... waiting....
Yep, he spoiled me goood! The bottom present is a panini press/griddle, the next one up is a Le Creuset Dutch Oven(!), next is a set of dominoes, and the small one on top is three worship CDs. (Now I have ALL new music in my car, which a great since I didn't change the CDs out for more than 6 months.)

Birthday lunch was at a fun diner. Some college friends introduced us to this place eons ago. It's wait staff are kinda rude/funny. They're supposed to be. (I wonder what someone would think who didn't know that.)



Birthday afternoon I went here to spend some Christmas and babysitting money I had burning a hole in my billfold:
Oh, it was fun to shop there!

The day ended with Birthday Cheesecake. Mmmm...and Yummmm!


Tuesday night we went to see Wicked. (If you haven't heard of it, it's the prequel to The Wizard of Oz.) It was Amazing!!! I was so caught up in the story and the costuming and the singing. It was just the perfect ending to a wonderful trip!




Well, I guess this is the ending... we came home to the driveway drifted shut with snow. My Hero Hubby shoveled me a path to get into the house and then spent an hour using the snow blower to clear the driveway so he could pull the car into the garage.
Sigh. Welcome back to the frozen north. Sigh.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Sounds fabulous! Happy Birthday~I said it before but turning 50 means you deserve to hear it often : )

Olson Family said...

Happy Birthday again! Looks like a great trip - what a fun way to celebrate.

Nel said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time for your birthday. I grew up in Northlake, a suburb of Chicago. A very busy place! I would of had to eat a hotdog and an Italian Beef and maybe a polish sausage. Nothing like them! Hope your brave and try the chocolate gravy sometime.
until next time... nel