Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I Said I love You and That's Forever

My hubby and I have been married for 26 years, 3 months and some extra days. 


I am blessed.


I love being married.

I can't decide which opening line I like better. So I will use all of them.

This whole marriage thing has come into much better focus to me since it's back to just the two of us. What do I see? I see that we approach life very differently.

Some examples:

*He is a morning person. I am a night-owl. He gets up ready to go in the mornings, it takes me a couple of hours to feel human.

*Hubby is quite competitive. I don't think I have a competitive bone in my body. Case in point: We have the same cell phones. I found an application that was similar to Boggle, a word game both like. I was having fun playing it and seeing how many words I could find. Hubby then loaded the same game on his phone. He soon realized the scoring was not the same as the real version of the game and found a couple of things he didn't like about it. I hadn't even noticed. (Now I don't like the game either.)

*Hubby can fall asleep in 2.5 seconds flat. Some nights I'm lucky if I fall asleep in under 30 minutes.

*He loves to run and does it about four times a week. For 40 minutes or more. I hate to exercise. 'Nough said.

*Hubby likes to organize things and enjoys doing it. I love for things to be organized, but I tend to get stressed out in the process. Just last night I was attempting to organize all of our CDs. Hubby dragged the box full of CDs upstairs a few days ago. Late yesterday afternoon, I unloaded them all. (Believe me, we have a lot of them.) I started stacking them on the floor around me. Pretty soon, I realized I was in over my head. Hubby called to tell me he was coming home and asked how I was doing. I said I was buried in CDs and wasn't sure what to do with them all. He laughed and said he'd be home soon. As soon as he walked in the door, he jumped right in and within 10 minutes we had a plan on what to do with them all and within probably 45 minutes he had them all organized. My hero!

*Hubby likes to watch sports. Football, basketball, baseball. He likes it. I tell him I think every game looks the same. I don't understand how he can watch so many games. He loved being at our Alma Mater's Homecoming Game last weekend. I was bored out of my mind. I've asked a few questions, especially about football, and I still don't understand it or like it.

*He is a very patient person. He cheerfully let me wander down memory lane last Sunday. And has agreed to some more Memory Lane wandering this coming weekend.

*Probably my most favorite thing is that he loves me unconditionally. I am often blown away at his love for me. I am ever grateful for our marriage as an earthly example of God's love for me. A few weeks ago we got into quite a heated disagreement. It was mostly because of my fears. After we had apologized to each other and forgave each other I asked him, "What can I do to make you happy with me again?" He answered, "Sweetie, you don't have to do anything. I love you." I about fell on the floor. Isn't that the way it is with God? We really don't have to do things to make Him love us. He just does.

My conclusion? We are very different people. We approach life differently. We are amazingly crazy in love with each other. And Happy.

Our son Caleb took a bunch of pictures at his sister's wedding. This was one of them. It's my favorite, mostly because of the caption he put with the photo when he posted it on Facebook.
Marriage works, these two are proof.

**SIGH**

As I was contemplating this post I heard a perfect song when I was out shopping. Despite all our differences, I love you, honey. Just the way you are.



3 comments:

Gigi said...

Beautiful. I think your husband and mine would have gotten along quite nicely...

I wish you many more years together. <3

paintergal said...

Hi, Judy.
This is Carol, Jay's sister.
Remember us from BTR Family Camp?
Anyway, I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog.
This is a beautiful post. Love it!

Joyce said...

This was a great post. It got me thinking about how my hubs and I are different and alike. We're for sure different in our approach to life but somehow it has worked. I like to think we've both come to the middle somewhat and when we don't I'm willing to move his way or he's willing to move mine !

Hope all is well : )