Monday, November 22, 2010

I Do

I know I said I would post pictures of our house.

I haven't done that yet, if you haven't noticed....

My hubby had meetings in The Big City again last week and I tagged along. I will get them posted. Soon.

We stayed over the weekend to see a musical at a terrific dinner theater. We have enjoyed going to this dinner theater since we were on our honeymoon.

When we had been married all of three days, we saw a performance of I Do, I Do. I remember very well a couple seated next to us who introduced themselves to us and looked at me to introduce ourselves. I stuttered and told hubby to do it. I stuttered over the words, "This is my husband," since I had never said that before!

I noticed a few months ago that the show was back at the theater and happened to coincide with the week hubby had meetings to go to, so we made plans to attend. (That was a really long sentence...)

So, Saturday night we enjoyed a nice dinner and then were seated in the theater. The play covers 50 years of marriage of Michael and Agnes. The first scene is the wedding and they sing a song titled, "I Do, I Do."

I cried. I did.

The play really touched us. The newlywed wonder and fun, the child raising years, the struggles of the relationship, the What Do We Do Now The Kids Are Grown, the companionship of old age.  And we marveled at the timing. Seeing it first as a brand-spanking new husband and wife, and then shortly after both our children have married and started lives of their own. What a lifetime was lived in between.

I told my hubby I'd give anything to crawl into the head of that 23 year old me and see what I was thinking and feeling all those years ago.

It impacted us more than we thought.

I found this little video on YouTube of one of the songs that had tears streaming my face by the end of it.
 


2 comments:

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

We will have to see that one! I've heard of it but always was interested in seeing something else. We saw Brigadoon, Les Meserables, Music Man and a few others there. I would love it if they would do Pirates of Penzance (Dan was a pirate in that in his HS - I wish I had gone but I didn't know him yet!!) It's sorta funny since the main charachter was born on Leap Day, just like Dan, my 7 1/2 year old husband, was :)

Dan and I were just talking ab out how much we have changed since having kids. And just how much we have changed since moving to Hutchinson.

Gigi said...

Glad you had a fun time away!

Can't watch the video...I'm afraid it would put me away for the day (and night) if I did.