Friday, June 19, 2009

My Swedish Grandpa and Me

I don't have a lot of pictures of myself when I was little. I had fun scanning the handful I do have into the computer and posting them here and on my Facebook page.

I have decided this is pretty much my favorite picture. This is my Grandpa Swanson. Doesn't he look like a Swedish Farmer? I think I am almost 2 years old.
Some of my favorite memories:
  • Grandpa used to rub his rough whiskers on my cheek just to make me squeal.
  • Grandpa always sat in the same chair in the kitchen.
  • Grandpa ate the fat off his pork chops. Yuck.
  • Grandpa had a remote control for his television. It had two buttons. It clicked. I thought it was so cool.
  • Grandpa blew his nose like a farmer. One finger on a nostril and blow into the wind. :) (that was something my mom didn't want us to copy)
  • I remember watching Grandpa carry a possum by the tail he had smacked in the head and tossed it in the ditch.
  • When we hung our Christmas stockings at Grandpa's house (the socks were the kind with the red toes and heels), we always got an orange and a Hershey chocolate bar.
  • Grandpa would purposely ask me if I was a couple of years younger than I was just to tease me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for doing this---it brought tears to my eyes!!--yes it was 1963 a few months after your Grandmother died--I'm (and was) sad that you don't have any memories of her--

Mom