Monday, June 1, 2009

Monday, Monday

Today, this first day of the month of June, the day of my father's birth, I learned a couple of lessons involving water.

I decided today was a good day to experiment with the table decorations for the rehearsal dinner for Caleb and Amanda. I found some awesome glass bowls from IKEA (Oh, that shopping trip will have to be another post...) to fill with water and float some daisy blossoms and slices of lemons and limes. (This was Megan's idea.) I experimented with thicker slices and thinner slices. I like the thicker ones, especially if there are seeds to remove. I plopped the lemon slices in the bowl and followed that with the lime slices. To my surprise The lime slices sunk to the bottom of the bowl! Odd. But Megan and I decided that look was okay too. A couple of hours later I looked at my master pieces and the lime slices were suspended kind of halfway up in the water. Kinda cool!

Oh I should go find my camera and post the pictures I took...

My other all important lesson, well not really a lesson as much as not thinking something through on my part until it was too late:

As I backed the SUV out of the garage to buy the lemons, lime and daisies I needed for my experiment, I thought I should start the sprinkler system. So I hopped out, left the car in the driveway, and went in the garage to get it going. Well, as I was walking back to the car, I realized I wasn't going to quite make it in the car before the sprinkler heads popped up. Just as I turned my back to get in I got hit in the back with the sprinkler! I laughed and laughed at myself and wondered what I looked like when I got out to run my errands.

Just another crazy Monday here in Minnesota!

And Happy Birthday Dad!



2 comments:

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

That looks really cool! Does the same thing happen in the same amount of time if you slice them a day or two in advance? If not, I'm sure you could get someone to do it for you - don't stress about that! (I'd offer but I don't want to commit to something over the 4th w/o consulting Dan on our plans)

Is the bowl going to be on a tablecloth or something to "anchor" it? I was thinking glitter, fake "snow" or even daisy petals (though they wouldn't last, prob.) would look nice sprinkled under it.

Ugh. Wedding planning. I swear I still have post-traumatic stress from planning my own! (at one point, I had a migrane for almost a week!)

Michelle said...

What happens if your lemons are overly juicy? Will they still float? That's a very cute idea though!