Yesterday I attended the funeral of my dad's life-long friend. Dad was asked by his friend to officiate the funeral service. When I arrived at the church and saw my dad he told me that the family had requested he speak on Psalm 23. He told me this with a slight grin on his face and said, "Do you think it was a coincidence that we stayed at your house Sunday morning and listened to that sermon?"
(Sunday morning we stayed home and listened to a sermon from our son's church on line.)
(The sermon was on Psalm 23.)
This was absolutely a God Thing. God orchestrated the small details of our lives.
Dad did a really great job with the service. And he didn't choke up, although I don't know how.
A God Thing.
As I was sitting next to my mom in the church before the service began, I thought I saw a woman that looked like my aunt. Mom couldn't see her at that moment, so was unable to confirm, but thought it probably was. After the service Mom and I were in my car waiting to join in the line of cars to the cemetery and a woman (who I didn't know) knocked on my window and asked if she and her friend could ride with us to the cemetery. I said, "Of course!" Would you believe me if I told you that the woman's friend was MY AUNT!?
So in my backseat was my aunt (whom I hadn't seen for 9 years) and a friend!
A God Thing. Again.
As we were chatting I said to Aunt Delores, "You should introduce me like Grandma used to and tell her that I'm 'Clair's baby'." (Clair is my dad's name.) (And it used to embarrass me so much when Grandma would say that.) To which my aunt's friend said, "Is this the baby you took care of?!"
(Back Story):
(When I was three months old, my mom and dad took a little break from having four kids in less than seven years and left us four kids with friends and family for a week. My parents picked me up from friends and then were heading to pick up the rest of my siblings. Along the way, they were in a head-on car accident. Dad broke an arm and Mom shattered her knee and got a big cut on her head. I was in a basket on the front seat between them. [No car-seats back then.] Mom says I just rolled on the floor and wasn't hurt. Mom ended up staying in the hospital for two months. For those two months my aunt and uncle took care of me.)
So.....
This friend of my aunt's remember that from soooo many years ago!
A God Thing.
It was difficult to see the family in such grief, but sweet to look back and see God's hand in the details.
1 comment:
It's amazing how when we open our eyes, we see God Things all around us. Glad these God Things brought you comfort.
Post a Comment