Friday, August 23, 2013

Last::: Five Minute Friday

 Today I am joining up with the Five Minute Friday gang from Lisa-Jo Baker's blog. Click on over to see how to play along. (Lisa-Jo gives a one word prompt and we are to write for five minutes about that word.)

Today's word is: Last.

Five Minute Friday


One thing I've realized as the years have gone by is that I am not always given the luxury of knowing when the last of something will be. When will the last time be that my little one crawls across the floor or the last time I will make a school lunch or the last time I make a birthday cake? In so many situations the last occurs with me being unaware.

There have been a few times that I was convinced it was the last. Sometimes I've been right: like the last time I talked to my grandmother on the phone in the fall of 1995 -- I felt like she was telling me good-bye. But then there was the time almost four years ago I visited my mother in the hospital and she looked so ill that I was convinced that was the last time I would see her on this earth. Four years later, she's still here. I just saw her on Wednesday and got to hug her and give her my arm as we walked across a cemetery lawn to say good-bye to a family friend.

I want to be more aware of the possibility of lasts and enjoy each and every moment I have with my friends and family. They are a blessing.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Wonderful post, bless you.

Gertraud Walters said...

This is so lovely. My first time on Five Minute Friday and I messed it up. Trying to figure out what went wrong. So I'm just browsing through some of the postings.Well done and you got a lot done in the 5 Minutes. Did you prepare a Draft of the outlay, or did it take you a little longer? I hope you don't mind me asking.
Gertraud