Thursday, March 7, 2013

Creativity

I've decided and observed lately that we all have some kind of creativity in us that we just have to express.

Examples:

Hubby: He loves to play the piano. I am so blessed to be treated to mini-concerts several times a week. He likes to create spreadsheets. :)

Me: I like to sew. I first learned to sew when I was 9 years old. The first thing I made was a laundry bag. I still have it. I sewed garments for myself for years. Now I make quilts. There is just something about cutting up a slab of fabric and then sewing it back together into something totally different (& useful) that is very satisfying. I also like to cook and bake. I find great satisfaction in making food that pleases the people I make it for.

Daughter: She is loving having her own kitchen and learning to cook all sort of new recipes. (And she's very, very good at it!) She also plays the piano and had the most beautiful singing voice. I miss hearing those around the house. Even when she was a toddler, she would walk around the house humming. She also has dabbled in a bit of sewing, thanks to her grandma, who taught her the basics.

Son-in-law: He likes to play the guitar. He creates things from wood (snow-shoes, a small wooden box, a plaque for hooks to hang clothing on). He ties his own flies for fishing. He cooks very well. (I used to love to invite him over when we lived in the same town and have him cook dinner for us!) He loves to garden.

Daughter-in-law: She likes to cook and bake. She makes cute little decorations for their apartment. She likes to dabble in sewing.

Son: He loves music. (We first noticed that when he was about 18 months old.) He knows how to play a saxophone, the piano, and the guitar. He listens to all sorts of different types of music. He still likes LEGOS. His grandparents gave him his first little LEGO tractor when he was 2 1/2. He finds a lot of enjoyment out of creating things from LEGOS.


So you see, all of us (and I'm talking more than just my family) have a creative side and a need to express it.

What are you creative at?

3 comments:

Peter said...

What a creative family we have! I even used to make terrariums when I was a kid, and I can still do calligraphy.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I feel so sorry for those who were never nurtured to see how they are gifted creatively. I'm thankful that my daughter is nurturing the creative sides of my grands.

Joyce said...

I feel creative, but my finished projects are usually slightly less than perfect. I'm okay with that most of the time : ) I like Pinterest because I do better with step by steps and a visual. My mom is very creative and my oldest daughter is especially creative. My grandfather was a painter, my mom and my daughter both art majors so there are some genes there. I got a few, but not all : )