Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Random Stuff

Has it really been a whole week since I last blogged? Sheesh. I had no idea. Today I think I will bless you with some random stuff. You're welcome.

::I went to the grocery store today with no coat on, people!! Please take note that it's February 1st and I live in the frozen tundra Minnesota. It was 45 degrees at the time and I really enjoyed not shlepping around with a coat.

::Apparently the tip about not grocery shopping when you're hungry is true. I went today before I ate lunch and came home (along with the good stuff on my list) some chips, mint Oreo cookies, and licorice. Sigh.

::My quest to use up the things around the house is going well. I'm almost through all those tiny bottle of shampoo and conditioner. I'm amazed and a bit ashamed of all the food stocked up around here. Tonight's supper is homemade pizza.

:: A couple of nights ago when Hubby went to bed, I snuggled myself into a comfy chair in our bedroom to read for a while before I crawled into bed. We usually turn on a white noise machine at bed time, but that night hadn't yet. As I was reading, I heard distinct footsteps crunching in the snow outside the window. I froze for a bit trying to figure out what it was and if someone was trying to get in the basement door. I managed to work myself into a bit of a frenzy, but prayed for God's protection and eventually turned on the sound machine and slept soundly. The next morning when I opened the shades in our bedroom I did indeed see footprints in the snow. They quite obviously belonged to a deer! (Grin.) Two deer in fact. I guess they were checking out a bush by the patio to see if it was yummy.

::I've been reading a biography about Eric Liddell. Anyone remember the movie Chariots of Fire? (One of my favorite movies.) It was about Eric Liddell, a Scottish man who won a gold medal in the 1924 Olympics in the 400m track race. Interestingly, after the story of his competition in the Olympics (which is where the movie ends) there is still 2/3 of the book left. Eric's parents were missionaries in China and Eric followed that path as well. That guy worked hard to have Christ in all parts of his life. Quite an amazing story. I cried when I read about his death in a Japanese internment camp in China during World War II.

::We get to hear our favorite preacher twice this month (Lord willing and weather permitting) and I am looking forward to it very much! (Especially since we are quite discouraged with the preaching at the church nearby we have been attending.)

::I get new glasses next week. I picked out some frames that have no frames. My opinion about glasses is that they are utilitarian and I would rather not have really prominent glasses. The people helping me at the glasses place are always a bit shocked that I don't want the trendy glasses. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting them and being able to see to read a bit better. (Oh the joys of getting older.)

Okay I think that's enough randomness for today. Time to get that pizza going.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I too am so inspired by Eric Liddells story. His actions matched his words.

We always have footprints around our house : ) Occasionally we hear something 'roaring' at night...hubs usually says its a fox but there are bobcats around here too. I've never seen one. I've heard there are also mountain lions-a friend caught one on a backyard hunters camera even though the high school science teacher said there are no mountain lions here. hmmm...

Sandy Cutshall said...

And the no-coat thing - same here! But we are going to get up to 8" this weekend, so here comes winter!!