Monday, February 27, 2012

Huevos Hyacinth (Pioneer Woman)

**Another installment in my cooking my way (s l o w l y) through Pioneer Woman's cookbook.**



I made this recipe a few weeks ago for a breakfast for myself. (Huevos is Spanish for Eggs. I knew that, but I did check with my friend Google Translate.)  (Hyacinth in the title refers to a friend of Ree's, the Pioneer Woman, who made up the recipe.)

Anyway....

It's very simple: layer ham or turkey, a sliced tomato or salsa, crack an egg over that and add some grated cheese, then bake.

You may notice that you can't see any tomato or salsa in the photo. That would be because I didn't have any tomatoes and the salsa just didn't sound good that particular morning. I woke up that day with a nasty headache that just would not go away.

Overall, it was very good. I would make this for company. I'd have to do a few changes, though. The salsa or tomato would make a good addition. Also, I used a pretty thick slice of ham that left the bottom of the dish quite watery. A thinner slice of ham or turkey would likely work better.

1 comment:

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

sounds good! I would be too impatient for my breakfast to cook it for breakfast, though! I'm not usually a fan of eggs and potatoes together, but for some reason, it sounds like it would be good to put a small amount of frozen, diced potatoes in the bottom under the ham. I bet they would cook nice there :)