Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The First Dozen of 2010



1. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being a cranky-baby-hissy-fitter, how much of a complainer are you?
I suppose it all depends on what sort of a mood I am in. But, if I am honest, I would have to rate myself a seven or higher. Ugh. Probably not something I really want to brag about, huh?

2. When someone else is talking, do you listen, or are you thinking about what you're going to say in response?
And I think THIS depends on the mood as well. If I am too self-focused at the moment, then I'm likely to not be a good listener. I have learned to improve this over the years.

3. I just deleted 1062 messages from my email account. Do you have any plans for a clean sweep this month--of anything?
Not really a clean sweep, but I reorganized a couple of my kitchen cabinets the other day. It finally dawned on me to put my grandma's never-used china in the hard-to-access corner cabinet and move the often-used, but hard-to-get-in- and-out Pyrex and Corningware. Yes, I am slow. I have been trying to cram those things in and out of that corner cabinet for over 8 years. **sigh**  I did throw away a few things that were badly chipped and set aside a few items to donate to the thrift store. I also found a couple of items I had totally forgotten about.

4. Tell us about your perfume. Was it a gift? What does it remind you of? Do you have a signature scent?
I really like Heavenly by Vickies's Secret. (I just don't want someone to Google the real name and stumble across my blog.) I discovered it when I was shopping with a friend who was buying it for her daughter. When I wear it, people I know say I smell like me. It's also the only perfume I wear that strangers ask me what it is. It's kinda pricey for me, so I alternate that with some scents from B&B Works. My favorite from there is White Tea & Ginger or Freesia. They changed the Freesia a few years ago and I don't like it near as well as the older version. I think my all time favorite from B&BW is Cotton Blossom. Sadly, the hubby can't stand it and I can only wear it when he's gone. The tough part is, he doesn't travel much for his job anymore. But I guess I'd rather have him around then wear that fragrance. Good choice on my part, I'm thinking.

5. What is your best organizing tip for the new year?
Don't let things pile up. Keep up with it before it takes over. (Or organize it in a really neat pile like some of the mail/catalogs in our kitchen. I need to sort through that pile soon!)

6. What is your favorite comic strip?
Zits. If you've ever raised a teen-age boy you totally get that comic strip.

7. Do you sleep with a fluffy or flat pillow?
Fluffy and feather. I just got a new pillow and I am in love with the fluffiness and the squishabilityness. (Oh! I love that word I just made up!)

8. What color is your kitchen? Why did you choose that color?
There isn't a lot of wall space in the kitchen, just the back-splash area. The color is kind of a brownish/taupeish/greenish color. I choose it because that's what we painted in the dining room and family room that is all open. I like it soooo much better that the fruit themed wall-paper (that I didn't pick out) that was there before.

9. What’s the most interesting bumper sticker you’ve seen?
Lame answer: I can't think of any.

10. Do you prefer an expensive writing tool or whatever is lying around? (Are you a Montblanc or a Papermate?)
I have a nice pen/pencil set my parents gave me when I turned 40. The ink cartridge has leaked all over and I think it's beyond saving. I tend to like smooth writing pens with blue ink. I find black ink dull. It needs to have a medium point. I don't like fine point, it feels like I'm scratching the paper. For a while I had one that was hot pink ink and one that was purple. Those were fun. I like mechanical pencils (.07) because the point stays sharper without having to sharpen it. But other than that, I'm not picky. ;)

11. What chore doesn’t feel like a chore – you just enjoy it (at least most of the time)?
Laundry. Just don't ask me to iron. Most of the time I enjoy cooking. I do get tired of thinking of what to cook sometimes. Every other chore seems more chorey to me.

12. If your parents often repeated themselves, what is something one of them said more than once?
Every year on my birthday (which is next Sunday) my mom tells me about the morning she went in to labor with me. My dad was getting ready to leave town for some meetings and she told him he better not leave because her water just broke. That was 6 in the morning and I was born by 2:20 in the afternoon. Pretty fast labor. Even thought she's told me this for as long as I can remember and sometimes I roll my eyes when I'm listening, I think I will miss it when she's gone and not here to tell me again. (She's been pretty sick lately, so I've been thinking about that.) And, yes, I tell my kids the same stories on their birthdays. And, yes, they roll their eyes at me. Ahhh, the passing on of traditions...



7 comments:

Jill said...

I thought your answer to #12 was great, and I loved your answer on the perfume. I think you probably made the right choice too. : )

T said...

I love that your mother tells you every year! I don't know any details of the day I was born, I guess I should ask!

Angie said...

Yay, for being honest on # 1 & # 2!

I've seen a few Heavenly answers; I may have to check it out the next time my college daughter drags me into Vickie's.

Zits! You got that right about the teenage boy! I often read it and then go put it into my 16-yr-old's lap. He just rolls his eyes.

Love that you carry on the tradition of birth stories. Funny.

SouthLakesMom said...

My kids LIKE to hear the stories of their arrivals...but if I did it annually as a tradition they would probably be less inclined. What is weird is that they like to hear each other's stories as well, not just their own...I guess it helps them keep the playing field level?

Joyce said...

My children love hearing about the day they were born too. They've been watching 'baby videos' while home on break...it's funny to see how their personalities were there as toddlers.

Cathy said...

Love your #12 too.

Chel said...

squishabilityness (love it!!!!)

My mood can drive a lot too.

I love the details on 4 and 10!! I found that I hate fine points myself that scratchy feeling is for the birds. lol And I came across a .09 and I love it too.

I need to remember that b/c I went into labor during a Cowboys game and I was told to wait...but not just by my hubby by the dr. too...hmmm now that I think about that I wonder what that doc was doing?? Watching the Cowboys maybe?? I got no sleep until the epi and that was great!