Sunday, July 19, 2009

Finally the Voice I Have Followed For Life Has a Glorious Face That is Lit Up With Light!

Friday we drove to central Iowa to say good-bye to my Uncle Mervyn.

It was harder than I thought. I had a pit in my stomach when we walked in the church and saw the casket. It really didn't look like my uncle. Truth be told, he wasn't there. He is in heaven. That was just his earthly shell.

The service was pretty good. My dad shared some memories that several of us family members had told him. My dad did a great job of putting every one's memories together. He choked up when he said that my brother had said that Uncle Mervyn was his hero. Uncle Mervyn was a hard working Swedish farmer who had a passion for making sure that everyone he came in contact with knew whether or not they were going to heaven. There are probably thousands of tracts floating around that he gave people to make sure they knew what they needed to do to ensure eternity in heaven. It made me think about what I am doing with my life along those lines. I doubt I will hand out tracts, but am I being diligent with sharing my faith?

On a lighter note, Dad shared my favorite story about Uncle Mervyn and Aunt Johnnye. (My aunt passed away 2 1/2 years ago.) Well, one particular Christmas when I was 6 or 7 I was missing my two front teeth, Uncle Mervyn and Aunt Johnnye took the song All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth to heart. Waiting for me under the tree was a little box. Inside that box were two teeth. They were long, skinny, ugly teeth. I soon found out they were PIG'S TEETH! If you want to see what they looked like, click here. I can't bear to post the picture here. I remember they looked like the ones on the bottom front. Uncle Mervyn and Aunt Johnnye thought it was the funniest thing ever. I was so disgusted as a 6 or 7 year old that I conveniently lost the teeth and never brought them home with me. Uncle Mervyn loved to bring the story up over the years and had many a good chuckle. It was probably 30 years later that Uncle Mervyn told me that he recalled that the dogs had been chewing on the pig's head he got the teeth out of. When I was even more disgusted, Aunt Johnnye piped up and said, "but I boiled them!" Like that makes it better.

It's a fun family memory.

On the way to the funeral we were listening to Charlie Hall CD. The following video is of the last track on the CD. (I'm not a huge fan of this video, but just listen to the music and watch the words I copied below it.) These words really struck me:

Finally the voice I have followed for life
has a glorious face that is lit up with light
And you’ll come for me, no more pain, peace,
No more fear, release
just lost and consumed with my glorious King

I am rejoicing that my uncle is experiencing this right now.

And I can't wait to join him someday.




Jesus come take me away, I long to see Your face
This world is broken yet beautifully made,
Jesus come take me away
Jesus I’ll patiently wait, till like a vapor I’ll fade
Help me fulfill all your dreams for these days,
Jesus I’ll patiently wait

You’ll come again with a shout,
like a thief in the night you’ll come riding on clouds
Finally the voice I have followed for life
has a glorious face that is lit up with light
And you’ll come for me, no more pain, peace,
No more fear, release
just lost and consumed with my glorious King,

(last chorus only)
And you’ll come for me

Jesus today I am tired, I need your music to come and inspire
I give myself to be refined in this fire,
but Jesus today I’m so tired

Come for me

No comments: