Saturday, April 18, 2009

Another Quilt

I decided to finally attack a quilt project I've had in mind for years. I have seen pictures of quilts made out of t-shirts and since my son is the t-shirt king, I thought it would be the perfect quilt for him. I had quite a stack of shirts that I had asked him to save and put in my sewing room rather than throw them away. I washed them all and when I was done I counted 27 shirts!

Next I got busy cutting them apart. Several shirts had something on the front and the back that I wanted to use. (I wish I would have taken more pictures through the whole process...) I ironed on some fusible interfacing on the back to stabilize the knit fabric. Then I got out a giant ruler and my rotary cutter and made all sorts of sizes of squares and rectangles. The result:
The next step was to arrange them so they could be sewn together. I was kind of stuck on that and mentioned that to my husband. His eyes lit up and he asked, "Can I do that?" (He's so cute.) It was right up his engineering alley. The kids and I have dubbed him The Master Packer. He loves the challenge. So an hour later he came to me and said it was done. (again I wish I had taken a picture)

Below is a picture of the finished product. I used some extra fabric from the t-shirts to fill in some places. I used a flannel for the back and binding. The only thing I'm not really happy with is the actual quilting. I wish I was better with that.


Getting it to Caleb was fun. I didn't want to mail it. Megan had flown home the weekend of his birthday, but we decided it wasn't going to work for her to bring it back with her. She just didn't have room and there was NO WAY I wanted to put the quilt in checked luggage. The next weekend Megan was meeting her boyfriend Zach at his sister's for a wedding. Solution! I sent the quilt with Zach and he gave it to Megan who took it to Caleb.

A fun part is that I asked Megan to have Caleb come over to her room to get the quilt and we had our web-cams on so I could talk to him and watch him unwrap it! That was great! He likes the quilt, which I was most worried about.

5 comments:

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

That is SERIOUSLY cool! I've only seen these quilts with each "block" the same size, and oriented the same direction. Way cool! I'm sure it was a little harder this way but it is SO much more interesting! Good job Peter!

I still have some of my old T-shirts and don't want to get rid of them, especially my personalized ones or ones I worked really hard to earn, hehe. I don't think they'll ever get into a quilt, though :(

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

And good job to you, too, Judy (of course!) .... ok, and Megan and Zach too... and webcam and ISP for making this day possible... lol

Olson Family said...

What a great idea. The shirts are all interesting and I just wonder what memories come to his mind when he looks at each one.
Would love to try and meet you when we are in MN. I'll keep you posted.

mumsy said...

love the quilt! It's awesome. I'm sure Caleb loved it..now..are you planning one for Megan, too? Mine was a little easier as I cut them all into a 15" squares. I see a Guys and Dolls tee shirt on there..was he in that play? Corey was Sky Masterson one year and ended up marring "Sarah" in real life! That play was the beginning of their relationship! Good memories.

Beth said...

i think we ought to get Pete and Mark together for a contest for "master Packer" .... better yet maybe we can take it to the networks for a TV show... I'm sure it would sell...and audiences would love it@:o)