Wednesday, October 9, 2013

This Week's Project

I guess it's a good thing that I have a pretty extensive fabric stash because when I want to start a new quilt, the fabric is already there.

Here's what I've put together this week:::




I used a Jelly Roll (a pre-cut roll of 42 fabric strips that are 2.5" by 44") and followed directions from this blog post I found when hunting around Pinterest. It went together very quickly.


Right now it's about 56" square. My next step is to try to figure out what to do for a border. I'd like for it to be a little bigger.

The little strip on the left is a left-over piece. I'm trying to figure out if I like that look as part of a border. I have some black fabric and some tan fabric that "reads" more solid I'm planning on using for one of the borders.

As I look at this I like the idea of a black border, then the pieced border and then the black for the binding. Any opinions from my readers?

3 comments:

Sandy Cutshall said...

I like the idea of the black, then strips, then black border. How wide would the black be? Maybe it depends on what size you want for the finished quilt. But I'd vote NO for tan. Just too light. That's my opinion.

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

Pretty colors. What about a black/dark solid-type border then multi colored prairie points? (I think i have that right- those folded triangles on the binding)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I like the idea of a black border, then the pieced border ... with the black binding. I'm not sure about the tan? Try "auditioning" the fabrics by laying them out with the top and taking a picture and look at that. Somehow I can "see" how things look much better in a photo than I can in real life. Be sure to report back what you've decided.