Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Lifesaver Hodgepodge

I have been struggling to find something to write about lately. There is just not much happening to produce much fodder for this here blog. I have really, really liked writing  on this blog for the last five plus years. I don't want to hang it up, I'd miss it too much.

It's times like this that I am happy that Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond hosts the Wednesday Hodgepodge. It gives me some great ideas to write about. Let's face it: it just gives me something to write!

 
 
1.  When were you last facing an ocean? Using just ONE word, describe how you felt as you faced that ocean.
Does the Gulf of Mexico count as the ocean? We were in Galveston, Texas a year ago last December. My one word? WOW. (The ocean is so vast!)





2. What are three sounds you hate to hear?

A dog barking incessantly.
The sound that happens when a car hits another car. (Thankfully haven't heard that for a long time.)
Snowmobiles in the field next to our house. They tend to idle right by our house. They are loud.

3. When you shop for yourself, do you try everything on in the store before buying or do you buy, try on at home, and then return what you don't like or what doesn't fit?

I try things on in the store. The main reason for that is that I live, at the least, 60 miles from stores I like to shop in (i.e. not WalMart). It would be a pain to have to drive 60 miles back just to return things. I do order plenty of things online. If I need to return one of those items, I will try to coordinate it with a trip to the city that has the store. I'm cheap when it comes to having to pay postage. I know, I know. It costs money to drive somewhere. I guess I'll take any excuse to drive somewhere that has actual stores and real restaurants.

4. February 26th is National Pistachio Day...are you a fan of the little green nut? Do you use them in cooking and baking or prefer to eat them right out of the shell?

Yes, I like pistachios. I love to just eat them right out of the shell.

5. When did you last have to compromise with someone?  Were you happy to reach the compromise or slightly irritated it was necessary? 
My last compromise was likely with my hubby. I don't remember details. But the likelihood that I pouted is quite high. I tend to pout and then I have to have a talk with myself to shape up. (Maybe someday I'll grow up. There's always hope!)

6.  Have you ever written a letter to an elected official? Did you get a response?

Nope.

7. We 'March' into a new month at the end of this week...what's something on your March calendar guaranteed to make you smile?

Ahhhhhhh! (That's me screaming with excitement...) In a couple of weeks we are meeting my parents and my siblings and siblings-in-law in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to go on a week-long cruise to celebrate my parents' 60 wedding anniversary. (Can you imagine being married for SIXTY YEARS? I hope I am blessed with that!) I am very much looking forward to being warm. That makes me smile just thinking about it. Warm. No coats. Capris. Sandals. Ahhhh!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I'm also looking forward to a trip to the southern Carolina in April. Spring should be in full swing there. (Definitely won't be here in Minnesota.) We hope to combine some pleasure along with the business Hubby has to do there.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That sunset is just STUNNING!!!!!

Susan said...

Your upcoming trips sound lovely. And warm! Enjoy!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

In my world, the Gulf does count as the ocean! ;-)

I didn't know (or didn't remember) that you are going on a cruise. How exciting! What ports of call are you going to visit? Hope you take plenty of pictures to share with us.

Marla said...

April in South Carolina is beautiful! You will be coming here at a great time of year!

Joyce said...

I was in Florida this past weekend. I came home to raining ice-ugh. I loved wearing sleeveless dresses, sandals, and even my swim suit. It's back to winter coats, gloves, and scarves. I've decided I need to live part of the year in a more temperate climate.

Where in the Carolinas will you be?

laura anne said...

gorgeous photo!

And can I please come to Southern California?!

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

60 years of marriage is a blessing!

annies home said...

what a beautiful picture. I can remember going to the beach during our visit and loving how pretty it was at sunset
come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

April said...

Wow...I love that first picture! Talk about breathtaking! Ooh...a cruise is always fun! You'll have a blast! 60 years together as a married couple is definitely reason to celebrate!

J.Day said...

My grandparents were married for 65 years. :o)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love Wednesday Hodgepodge and Joyce is so good with the questions! Compromise is never easy. Your trip to Florida sounds wonderful and 60 years is truly amazing.....have fun!