Monday, January 14, 2013

I Feel Different

When my sweet daughter turned four years old, she was so excited about it. A friend of mine saw her the week after her birthday and commented that she looked grown up. She proudly announced it was because she was FOUR years old now. It was a cute moment.

By the way, here's a picture of Yours Truly at four years old.
My mom always made us shape cakes for our birthdays. I did the same for our kids.
All of that has nothing to do with much, except that I just celebrated my birthday last week. I've realized that when I turned Fifty a couple of years ago, it was no big deal. But now? Now I am IN my fifties. Sounds old and mature. Yikes. I just feel different, you know?

Hubby and I went to the Twin Cities for the weekend to celebrate and despite the stupid cold weather and the fact that our best friends went and got the flu and canceled our dinner plans, we had a nice time. We found a really nice restaurant for my birthday dinner and even enjoyed some yummy dessert.

Saturday we met up with Hubby's brother and he showed us around the new (to them) church building that their church is working on. It will be interesting to see the end result.

Our hotel had a DVD player and a lot of movies we could borrow so we took advantage of that a couple of evenings. We even saw a movie (The Guilt Trip) in the theater.

Whenever we are in a big city it seems as though we have saved up a lot of shopping. I guess that's the price of living in a tiny rural town. We managed to check several things off our list. And of course we managed to squeeze in a couple of quilt shops. You know, the important things.

Hubby did a great job of spoiling me with gifts like he always does. He got me some really pretty earrings, some beautiful cello music, a fondue pot (well, he couldn't find one in a store, so I ordered it on-line last night) and a Kindle! I've already downloaded so many free books on my Kindle I need to start reading (and finish the two real books I had started before). I look forward to taking the Kindle on trips.
(This post is taking me forever to finish because I keep getting distracted by all the other things to look at on the Internet: Pinterest, other blogs, free books on Amazon, Facebook....)

That sweet daughter (who has grown up, obviously) and her husband sent me some flowers for my birthday.


I took this picture and texted it to them to thank them for the flowers. Megan called me kind of in shock. I think she ordered "colored daisies", not really expecting such colorful daisies. Ha. I like them. They add a lot of cheer on these cold, gray January days.

My son and daughter-in-law sent me some music. Somehow it all happened digitally. I really don't know how. I just got an email, clicked, downloaded, un-zipped, extracted.... and POOF! new music in my iTunes and now on my iPod. I always tell them how much I love the music from their church and this CD has some songs they have sung during worship. So thoughtful of them and I just love it! Maybe I'll even figure out how to burn it on a CD...or is that too much fancy technology for someone my age? ;)

And my birthday isn't complete until I've had a phone call from my parents. They start out with a loud Happy Birthday! (usually with my dad hollering something or other from the background) and then my mom tells me about the morning she went into labor with me. Good thing she did early enough in the morning to stop my dad from traveling 90 miles for some meetings he had scheduled that day. I wonder what she would have done if he was already on the road. I have never asked that question. Hmmm....

I suppose I should wrap this up and get it posted.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Cello music? To play or listen to? I don't think I knew you played the cello.

In your fifties...I'm in the club and I feel different too : )