Wednesday, January 30, 2013

End of January Hodge Podge

1.  In the USA this coming Sunday millions will be watching as the Baltimore Ravens take on the San Francisco 49's in the Superbowl.  What was the last event you attended that could be described as super?
In the last three and a half years I've been to a few quite super events. Two were the weddings of my kids. I don't think anything will ever match that.
On a different level, seeing Wicked in Chicago for my 50th birthday was pretty super. I'd love to go to New York City one day to see a performance on Broadway. If only my birthday wasn't in January.
2.  Share something you're a fan of these days?
Oh Downton Abbey for sure! Before December 24 I had never seen a single episode and wasn't particularly interested. We gave our daughter-in-law the first two seasons on DVD for Christmas and sat down to watch "one or two episodes" on Christmas Eve. Boom. I was hooked. (And so was everyone else that was here.) We ended up watching all of Season 1 before our son and daughter-in-law went back home and had the nerve to take her present with them. Sheesh. ;) Over New Year's weekend, Hubby and I tried to find Season 2 to rent, to no avail, and ended up buying it (and Season 1) at Target. Anyway....Sunday nights find us parked in front of the TV tuned in to PBS. (And can I just say? Last Sunday's episode was heartbreaking!)

3. How do you feel about wings?  What's your preferred seasoning on a wing-hot, mild, teryiaki, sweet and sour, other?  Do you make your own or is there a favorite place you like to go for wings?
It probably sounds cliche, but I like to go to Buffalo Wild Wings. I've had several different things there and several kinds of wings there. My favorite have a chipotle rub on them. I really like spicy food, but not so spicy you can't taste anything but heat and your head is sweating spicy. I've never tried to make my own wings.
4.  As long as we're talking sports today...have you followed the Lance Armstrong story?  Did you watch his interview with Oprah and if so what was your reaction to his confession and subsequent remarks?
It bothers me that Mr. Armstrong cheated and doesn't seem to be remorseful about it. My brain just does not work that way.

5.  What's a question you hate to be asked?  
How do you like living in Small Town? (and related questions) I don't like it here and I don't like answering that question because my answer is not what most people expect to hear or want to hear. It's especially awkward when the person asking is someone who has lived here for a long time.
6. The coaches in this Sunday's big game happen to be real life brothers.  Were you and your sibling(s) competitive?  In what way? Are you still?  If you're an only child how did you handle competition growing up?  
My siblings and I were not very competitive with each other.  I know I don't have a competitive bone in my body. I play Words with Friends and Scrabble on Facebook. I recently told my hubby and a friend that I never look at the statistics of how many games won/lost and they were both astonished. I really don't care if I win or loose. As a matter of fact, if I'm beating someone by a lot of points, I feel kind of bad and try to play words without too many points. (I will say that if I'm beating my hubby -- which happens about once every 42 years -- I try hard to actually win that game.) A game? Oh, it's just for fun!
7.  What's your favorite game involving a ball and when did you last play?
Um....see answer to previous question. I am not a huge sports fan. I will attend an occasional basketball or baseball game. Twelve years ago I took golf lessons and learned that I don't want to play golf. ha.  But to answer the question, my favorite game involving a ball is watching my hubby play golf. Last summer we went golfing quite a bit. He plays. I drive the cart. I like spending time with him like that. And driving the golf cart was my favorite part of the golf lessons, after all. grin

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

8 comments:

retired not tired said...

Love your random thought! So true!

Kara said...

You sound just like me this time last year! I came into Downton Abbey not really sure I'd like it, and proceeded to marathon the first season and avidly watch the second. :) I haven't seen this season though, life has been getting in the way, but I've read enough spoilers that I know what happened last time and it's so sad. :(

Marla said...

I love Words with Friends! I am not competitive but I love the brain challenge. PS: I lived outside of Redding, CA - in Bella Vista. Now that's a SMALL town! Going into Redding was hitting the big city! ha!

Hootin Anni said...

LOVE the random thought today. So perfect, in every way.

Your answer to the most hated question is something I would not have thought of...and I can only imagine it's quite an annoying question, over and over.

Joyce said...

Ha-we had almost the same wording for the wings question. Of course : )

We finished Season 2 and I have the new season all ready to go on the DVR. Hubs likes it too which helps.

Anonymous said...

I'm completely with you on #4.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

LOVE your random thought!!

I think I'm the last person who's never seen Downton Abbey ... and I'm beginning to think that I need to rent the Season 1 DVD and jump on the bandwagon. If I got caught up on 9 seasons of NCIS, I can get caught up on 2 seasons of Downton Abbey. ;-)

Madonna said...

to Kathy, you aren't the only person not watching Downton Abby. I was all into going to start watching since everyone said what a great show but after whoever died Sunday I don't want to watch. I don't want to get involved and then lose the person at this point in my life. That was most of last year for me and too raw to deal with even fictioniously for now.
I can't imagine not loving small town but thats probably because its how I was raised. I get so overwhelmed when I am in big cities.