I have been having a lot of fun trying out some of my new gadgets. With Christmas and my birthday being a little more than two weeks apart, I get blessed seemingly all at once with more than a couple gifts from my loves ones. I don't mean to brag. Just, you know, one of my love languages is gifts...giving and receiving. So the whole Christmas and birthday things are exciting to me.
For a few years I have talked about wanting to try fondue. I think it would be a fun treat when we have guests. I fondly remember having fondue in the 70s at my parents' house. Pretty sure their fondue pots were a lovely shade of burnt orange and avocado green. :/
This year for my birthday my sweet hubby gave me a fondue set. He couldn't find any in a store (and I looked too) so we ended up ordering one online. A couple of days after it came we decided to try it out.
Our first attempt was meat/oil fondue. I had a pork loin in the freezer, so that got sliced into cubes and marinated.
We read the directions closely and cooked the pieces of pork in the oil. Each fondue fork is a different color on the end of the handle, so when there are a lot of people partaking, it's easy to remember which fork was yours.
I learned that I need to cut the pieces of the meat a little bit smaller so it would cook a little more quickly.
We had some rice and mango salsa with the pork. It was so good!
The next night we tried some cheese fondue.
I think this was my favorite between the two. What's not to like? Hot melty cheese with a little wine mixed in and some homemade crusty artisan bread. Mmmmm!
Next we'll have to try some chocolate fondue. Come visit and make a request!
3 comments:
We always do cheese and chocolate on New Years Eve. It's a fun family thing, very relaxed and social. I haven't tried the meat at home, but have had it in restaurants. I love the cheese on apples and pears too.
I love fondue ... I'm not sure why I don't try it at home. ;-)
Well - I'm sure you know how I feel about the Fondue! The Swiss pronounce the "meat" fondue as "chinois" (shin-wah). You're right in that smaller pieces of meat are best for this - they can typically buy them at the store cut into thin strips or cut into strip themselves from a lean cut of meat. Yum!!!
Post a Comment