Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Snowy Hodgepodge Kind of a Day

Joining up with Joyce today for the Wednesday HodgePodge.


1.Will you be hosting any house guests between now and the end of December? Does that thought make you happy or crazy?
No, we are not hosting any house guests this month. Does that make me happy? No. Crazy? Not really. The kids are spending Christmas with their in-laws this year. It is what it is. Besides, we still get to celebrate Christmas with the kids -- just doing it a week later. That's a good thing.
Do you do anything special for your guests to make them feel at home? 
We try to make sure the guest rooms are comfy in all ways and that the bathrooms have the essentials available. Joyce wrote about leaving a little gift for her guests. Sweet idea. I need to remember that. I heard at my friend's funeral last month that she would always leave her parents' favorite candy on their pillows whenever they visited. They did the same for her in return. I like that tradition.
How long should a house guest stay? My dad says that fish and relatives stink after three days. Silly Dad. I think a house guest should stay as long as they need to. Who am I to limit my hospitality?
The Bible even has some things to say about hospitality:


Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 1 Peter 4:9

Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Hebrews 13:2

Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Romans 12:13



2. Walter Elias Disney was born this week (December 5) back in 1905 ...what's your all time favorite Disney movie?
I have several Disney movies that I really liked and can watch over and over:
We recently saw The Muppets. It was such a good movie. I have always loved the Muppets.
Up is such a sweet movie. Our son and his wife saw it shortly before they were married and it has become one of their favorite movies.
I really enjoyed National Treasure. I love a good mystery and I appreciate a movie that can have a good story without a lot of extra yucky stuff.
Then jumping back several years... Cool Runnings. Such a great stand-up-and-cheer movie and funny movie.
And jump back even more years... I thought The Love Bug was so magical when I was a kid. Cars do tend to have their own personality, don't they?

3. What was the last thing you purchased that you realized was a mistake after the fact?
Birkenstock clogs. Oooo just thinking about that situation makes my blood boil. First of all, the sales lady was less than helpful and didn't even know where to look on the Birk's I was wearing to find the correct size. Anyway... long story short, I bought some clogs and when I got them home and wore them around the house, I realized they were too big. Did I mention that I live about 150 miles from the store? Ugh. The next time we were back in the Big Cities, I took the clogs back to get a refund, but evidently they have a 30 day return policy and I was there 2 or 3 days after the 30 days had expired and they refused to refund me anything!!! Grrr... now I'm stuck with not-very-cheap Birkenstock clogs (Style: Boston, size 38, regular width). Anyone out there want them for pretty cheap? :) (Okay, Judy, take a deep breath.)


4. What percentage of your Christmas shopping is done online? 
Shopping for the kids? This year, relatively small because of our shopping marathon last weekend. For my own shopping for my hubby? Probably closer to 80%. That's because I can't find what I want here and it's easier for me to do online shopping that it is for hubby, since I can intercept the package before Hubby can see it. :)

5. Amaryllis-snowdrop-poinsettia...your favorite winter blossom?
I think the Amaryllis is very pretty, but I'm a sucker for fresh flowers and love them all.

6. What is one thing on your personal Christmas wish list? I think we all want peace on earth so let's make this answer an actual item. 
Well, I don't think I can write exactly what it is I'd like for Christmas. There is this thing called protocol, people, and this is the World Wide Web. Let's just say I'd like a change of scenery and leave it at that. 

7. If you could only use one word today what would it be?
Cold.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
It's been a month since my childhood friend died. I still miss her. Very much. 

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Sorry you are sad. Grief is something that comes in waves it seems.

I loved The Love Bug too...haven't thought of that one in a while. Your shoe story would make me a little crazy too!

Jocelyn said...

That's sweet that your kids will be spending Christmas with their in-laws. I also liked Joyce's idea of leaving the guests a small gift.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend *hugs*