Monday, September 12, 2011

A Little More Randomness

1. It's a little before 8pm and our neighbor is mowing his yard. What's so strange about that? It's practically dark outside. But then he does have headlights on his riding mower, so I guess that's okay. (ha) The thing is, he seems to start his yard-work when it's just beginning to get dark. It doesn't matter what time the sun sets, he'll be out there right as it's getting dark. And he's does more than just mow. In the year we have lived here, we've seen him lay tile for a patio, mow, garden, lay sod and even cut down huge pine trees all in the dark. At least we have something to entertain ourselves with in the evenings.

2. This afternoon I walked out to the street to get our mail out of the mailbox. I was noticing how crunchy dry the grass is (it hasn't really rained here for about two months), and then I noticed how dry the pot of geraniums by the front porch was. So, I set down the mail and turned on the water. As I reached for the hose, the plastic connection of the spray-wand cracked and spewed stale, musty, stinky water all over my hair, glasses and shirt! Ew. It smelled awful! (I did manage to get the flowers watered.)

3. Remember this post ? In Random Thing #4, I talked about my plans to cut up and grill a whole turkey. I did that for dinner tonight. It worked, but boy oh boy was it a chore! First of all cutting up a turkey is nothing like cutting up a chicken. That thing was huge and hard to keep under control! I thought of this scene from Everybody Loves Raymond as I was wrestling with it:

I'm just glad that didn't happen!

I managed to get it cut apart, but couldn't get the breast cut in half and it wouldn't fit on the grill, so I just roasted it in the oven. I put the rest of the turkey pieces on the grill and brushed italian dressing on them. It took quite a while, but I liked the end result. It was a bit messy. I managed to get spattered with grease.

Between the stinky water and the grease, I was a mess. Needless to say, as soon as supper was over and the kitchen cleaned up, I took a shower and spent the rest of the night in my jammies. (Hanging out in my jammies is the best!)

And that, my dear blog readers, is a day in the life of... entertaining, huh? :)

1 comment:

Joyce said...

You're crunchy-we're soggy. We've had so.much.rain.
Hanging out in your jammies IS the best-agreed!