Tuesday, August 31, 2010

RD 12 September Kick-Off

Click on the button to go to Linda@2nd Cup of Coffee and find more people who participated on the Random Dozen.




1. What insect are you most afraid of? Feel free to post a picture.
I don't think I am afraid of insects. I think they're icky and don't belong in my house or in my way, and I don't have a problem stomping on them or squishing them. Just don't get me started about reptiles and rodents...


2. What is the greenest/most organic thing about you or that you do?
I don't do a whole lot, but I do recycle the regular stuff like glass, plastic and cardboard.


3. Tell me about a recurring dream that haunts you.
When I was a kid I had one about a horse that didn't have any skin. (Yeah, I don't know.)
Now I seem to have dreams of either trying to get some where but never do, or trying to talk to people and no one listens. I used to dream my hubby was mean to me and would wake up mad at him. He would just look at me with those yummy brown eyes and say, "But I'm a really nice guy." (He really is.)
 
4. Have you ever missed a flight? What were the circumstances?
I was going to say that I hadn't ever missed a flight, then I remembered a specific missed connection  twelve years ago when we moved to Singapore. We flew from St. Louis to Minneapolis to Tokyo to Singapore. A few hours out of Minneapolis there was a plea over the PA for a doctor. We ended up landing in Edmunton, Alberta, Canada for a while to let off a man who had a heart attack. That caused us to miss our connecting flight in Tokyo. Everything in the Tokyo airport shuts down about 9:30 at night so they put us up in a hotel. Only we didn't get in line soon enough to get the nicer hotel.We got to stay at the Narita Guest House. Ugh. It had 4 single beds and pillows with beans in them. They felt like beanbags. We were something like 15 hours into flying and needless to say I was quite stressed. It wasn't a very good night's sleep despite being exhausted because I was worried we would all oversleep and miss the flight to Singapore the next morning. We did make the flight (which was another 7 hours). The saga wasn't quite over though, because two days later I was in the hospital in Singapore with a severe case of strep throat. Yes. That was a stressful move.


5. What do you consider your best feature?
Does this mean physical? I guess I'd say my eyes. (Although not right now, they are bloodshot.) My hairdresser makes my hair look pretty nice. (I'll be interested to see how other RDers answered this one.)

6. What was the last concert you went to?
Last April we went to a chamber orchestra in the Big City. We had free tickets too. That was sweet. It was entertaining to watch the second violinist really enjoy the music he was playing. A year and a half ago we heard Chris Tomlin. It was a great time of worship.


7. Describe the most embarrassing church moment you ever experienced.
Aside from laughing outloud in church a few weeks ago, the other I time I remember is several years ago the kids and I visiting my in-laws and sitting in the second row from the front of the sanctuary (of a small church). We started singing a "hymn" that had the words in one of the verses that said something about monsters under the bed. The kids (they were 9 & 12) and I burst out laughing, much to the embarrassment of my in-laws. Oh, I wish I could find a copy of that hymn.


8. Are you a whistler, hummer or singer?
I love to sing. I was laughing at myself yesterday as I was driving. It seems as though my favorite songs that I love to sing the loudest to come on the CD over the bumpiest part of the road and I sound ridiculously funny. Yesterday I listened to Travis Cottrell, Kari Jobe, Mandisa  and Hillsong. Mmmm, good stuff.

9. George Washington Carver said, "I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in." What is God saying to you through nature today, or this very minute?
Our new house looks out over a farm field. We are treated almost everyday to a beautiful sunset. That reminds me of God's creativity. Sometimes I think He has been so creative with the way He made the earth with so many breathtaking views just to give us pleasure. (Hmmm... hadn't really thought of that until just now as I was typing.)
For some reason Zephaniah 3:17 comes to mind:

 The LORD your God is with you,
       He is mighty to save.
       He will take great delight in you,
       He will quiet you with His love,
       He will rejoice over you with singing.


10. On September, 1, 1752, the Liberty Bell arrived in Philadelphia. What memorable event will take place in your life on September 1, 2010?
Memorable event...hmmm... I posted another Random Dozen answers? Not much planned for today, except maybe laundry. (and returning some sheets I ordered the wrong color of...)


11. Taco Bell or the Liberty Bell? (You must choose.)
I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have eaten at Taco Bell. It would be cool to see the Liberty Bell. I've never been east to see those historical things.

12. Do you believe men and women can have purely platonic friendships?
I think you can't fool yourself and have to always have precautions. Satan is one tricky, deceitful dude.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome answers! I enjoyed reading them :)

Joyce said...

The flight chaos sounds completely miserable.

I wasn't sure about the feature question either...I think that's one you need to ask someone else to answer for you. I know my hubs would say my eyes so that's what I picked. Although my allergies have gone into overdrive this week so my eyes are not looking so great.

Have a great day!

Teresa Dawn said...

I think Grocery shopping will be my memorable event for the day... not sure that I'll remember it once the food is eaten though haha.

momma24 said...

Great answers!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Enjoyed your answers today, loved the flight story and your answer to #12. I'm with you on the rodents and reptiles, scared too death of all of them.

Have a great week! Blessings to you!

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

I love your answers! Boy I bet by the time you got to Singapore and were in the hospital you were really questioning God's planning on the whole issue.

OK... I have another blog topic for you if you choose to elaborate -- What did God teach you in the time you were in Singapore that you wouldn't have learned if you never went there?

...and I love your choice of music!! Take care!

Robin Lambright said...

We just did a vacation of several National Parks out west, but our next driving vacation will be up the east coast to hit some of the more historical sites. New England Philadelphia, Washington DC and the like. I have never been there!

Overlooking a farm field... my dream vista! How wonderful!

Blessings
R

Gigi said...

Fun! If you visit my blog and scroll down - on the sidebar I have a picture of the Liberty Bell and my Sweet Hubby taken the last time we were there, October 2007. I hope you're able to see it one day...!

Moira said...

Awesome answers! Sorry I didn't comment sooner. I didn't get to link up mine last week and I completely missed Mr. Linky :o)