1. Are you sticking to traditional Thanksgiving foods this year, or are you being culinarily adventurous?
I'm pretty much sticking to the traditional menu. That's one thing I love about Thanksgiving Dinner, the menu is pretty much set. I am planning on trying pecan pie this year. It's my new daughter-in-law's favorite.
2. Tell me something concrete that you're thankful for. (Something you can literally touch, see, etc., not a concept like "hope.")
My home. I feel comfortable and safe here.
3. You knew the flip side was coming: Share about something intangible that you're thankful for.
I am oh so thankful for God's unconditional love and for my hubby's unconditional love. I think it is so cool how God gives me an earthly version of His great love for me.
4. Share one vivid Thanksgiving memory. It doesn't have to be deep or meaningful, just something that remains etched in your memory.
When we lived in Singapore we had a wonderful time celebrating Thanksgiving with our new American friends there. One year our family was in three different countries on Thanksgiving Day. Caleb was in Malaysia with the youth group from our church on a retreat. Megan was in Singapore with some Singaporean friends. Pete and I were in Hong Kong having a wonderful long weekend just-the-two-of-us. That is my vivid Thanksgiving memory.
5. What is one thing that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is going to happen this Thanksgiving because it always does, year after year?
We will eat turkey! And we will share what we are thankful for.
6. Do your pets get any left-overs?
No pets here.
7. Does your family pray before the big meal? If so, do you join hands while seated, stand, repeat a formal prayer or offer a spontaneous prayer? Who does the praying?
We pray before every meal. We join hands while seated. Hubby most often does the praying. The prayer is not a formal prayer.
8. Will you be watching football in the afternoon? If not, what will you be doing?
I am positive that football will be on the TV. And I am positive I won't be watching it. I will probably have my nose in a book or most likely, in my computer.
9. There are two distinct camps of people on this issue: How do you feel about oysters in the dressing/stuffing?
I have never had it. Is that one of the camps? I'd like to try it. I am still trying to find the perfect dressing that we all like.
10. Do you consider yourself informed about the first Thanksgiving?
Yes I do. I have learned a lot more in the last several years thanks to Barbara Rainey. I have a special feeling for Thanksgiving and what it means to this country. My husband's nine-times great-grandfather is William Bradford. He was governor of the Plymouth Colony. I have stood on the beach the Pilgrams sailed from in Holland and I have stood on the beach in Plymouth, Massachusetts. I was moved by the obedience of William Bradford and the Pilgrims. Because of that, I have my hubby and he has had the privilege of having the Christian faith passed down through many generations.
11. Which variety of pie will you be enjoying?
Pumpkin. My mom has the best pumpkin pie recipe.
12. Do you feel for the turkey?? (This is a humorous throw back question related to the 12th question in another Random Dozen!)
No. Turkey is good eats.
14 comments:
#1 -- I am making my first Pecan Pie this year.
#8 -- if football is on TV, I will be at my computer, too.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Our answers are very similar!
I pray that your day will be full of new things to be thankful for!
I'm with you -- football will likely be on, but I don't think I'll be watching it ;)
I have a wildrice stuffing recipe posted in my random dozen today -- it's our family favorite! I thought I'd let you know about it since your family is still looking for your stuffing recipe.
Love your #10!
How neat that your husband can trace his lineage so concretely to Thanksgiving....That's great. I loved your answers. I need to get myself in gear and answer the questions.
:-) Susan
I've got pecan pie in mind for Christmas this year. It IS one of my absolute favorites!!!
With your husbands blood line, I think you BETTER know your facts on that first Thanksgiving! That's pretty impressive! :)
I hope your family's celebration is wonderful!
I love pecan pie but have never made it from scratch. I think I'll have to learn.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Wow on 10 and your 12 sound like me! ;)
love me some pecan pie...it will be great!
we had a summer like your previous thanksgiving...this past June our neice and her twin brothers were spread all over...
1 in Denmark, 1 in Beijing, 1 in Iraq...their poor mother had her prayers spread all over !!!
enjoy your holiday...God Bless!
Although I always have a slice of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, I'm hoping that someone brings a pecan pie, too (I actually like it better than Pumpkin, but tradition must be maintained...).
Have a great holiday!
Enjoyed reading your answers! You won't regret making pecan pie --
Pecan pie is the BEST :-) My DIL made the most incredible chocolate pecan pie a few years ago. Best.Ever!
I'm going to try Pioneer Woman's MIL's stuffing recipe this Christmas -- it uses french bread AND cornbread so I'm thinking it should be good :-) Also fresh herbs which I have in abundance right now (opposite seasons).
Oh I like pecan too...I have to draw the line somewhere in the dessert dept. though so I'm not making one this year.
That's so neat that you are a 'Bradford'...enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday!
The random dozen -- what a fun way to get to find out more about people. This is my first time visiting, and I can't wait to look around. It seems like we have a lot in common :) Ok, off to nose around now.
#4 would be hard to beat! Glad you played along in this busy week!
Post a Comment