Monday, August 10, 2009

Are You Worn Out Too?

This has been kind of a tiring summer. I wrote about it a few weeks ago.

Yesterday I talked with some friends at church about a really big struggle they are facing with a suicide in their family. It got me to thinking about at what point does a person become so hopeless that they see no way out.

Here are a couple of sentences from her blog: I find that whatever thoughts we fill our heads with, our heart takes on. If you fill your thoughts with junk, your heart will inevitably have it too. I really wonder how my life would have turned out if I hadn't become a Christian.

Me too, me too. I wonder often how my life would have turned out without Christ. I am beyond thankful I never have to know.

These verses came to mind. I couldn't decide which version I liked the best, so I included several.

Matthew 11:28-30

(Amplified Bible)

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls. For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good--not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne.

(The Message)

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

(New Living Translation)

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

My friend included on her blog this video:

Just think what can happen when I let God consume me from the inside out!

1 comment:

Jenny - AKA - frogmama said...

Oddly enough, I have been blessed by this event in the past few days. It has made me look at my selfish areas of my life as well. The sermon about serving others on Sunday really fit well with it...

Anyway, thanks for your support!
His funeral is tomorrow at 11.