Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Firsts of the Lasts

Today the husband and I experienced the first of the lasts.

Today was the last performance of the musical. Megan is a senior in high school. And our youngest. This year's production was Beauty and the Beast. Megan had the part of The Wardrobe. As usual, She Was Terrific. It was a fantastic costume. I just giggled every time she came on stage. We have been able to go to the musical for seven years in a row with someone either on the stage or in the pit orchestra. Caleb started out playing his guitar in the pit for Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat in 2002. Since then we have seen, South Pacific, West Side Story, Guys and Dolls, Grease, and Kiss Me Kate.

I realized today as I watched Megan take her last bows, that this was it for seeing my child on that stage and I got a bit teary eyed. But I will not dwell on the sadness. I am learning how to not be sad because something is over, but to be thankful that it happened at all. I am so thankful for the opportunity that both Caleb and Megan have had to be in the musicals. They have made some great friends, learned how to work in a group and just have had great experiences and great fun.

So I realized that this is just the first of the lasts for this year. All the high school activities are winding down. Strange to think that the band and choir concerts are coming to an end. We've been attending those for 11 years. We definitely have life changes coming up quickly. I plan on embracing them with joy and to finding out what is next in God's plans for us as a family.

No comments: