Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Adventures in Smaller Town, Minnesota

A few weeks ago I received a postcard from the state telling me that I need to renew my driver's license. I plopped it on the side of the refrigerator with a magnet and promptly forgot about it.

Last week Hubby reminded me that I needed to get my license renewed, so I looked up the website listed on the card to figure out where I needed to go.

Today, I got myself all gussied up (meaning I actually put on make-up and fixed my hair all nice and everything) and headed to the local mall. (Just to clarify... the "mall" is more like, as my son would say, "a few stores connected by a giant hallway.") Why the mall? Well, that's where I thought the website told me to go and I remembered seeing a somewhat official looking office the few times I have actually been in this mall. I walked up and down the mall, and did not see anything that said License Bureau or DMV or anything. The "Official" looking place I remembered was a Social Security Office. I didn't think they would renew my license there.

So I stomped (annoyed with myself) back out to my car trying to think of what to do next. I considered calling my hubby at work to have him ask someone, but I never know if I can get a hold of him while he's at work and I really wanted to get this done today. So I pulled out my trusty smart phone and went to Ask.com and searched for where to renew my driver's license in Smaller Town, Minnesota. (No, that is not the real name of the town I live in. I'm just not keen on blabbing on the world wide web exactly where I live.) Huh, there was an actually place in the down town area called a License Bureau. Who knew? Obviously not me. I've lived here for two and a half years and have never seen this place.

So I followed the directions on my GPS and even then had a hard time finding the place. It's in a pretty obscure place.

Anyway. I ended up filling out the paperwork, taking the eye exam (last time I renewed my license I could pass the exam with no glasses...no such luck this time), and paying the fee and smiling pretty (they even let me approve the photo) all in less than ten minutes. I now get to carry a piece of paper around until the hard copy comes in the mail.

I know this isn't the most riveting blog post. It's just a glimpse of how non-riveting my life in Smaller Town, Minnesota is.

(Besides, I have been known to write long blogposts about such exciting subjects as Potato Salad.)

2 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I don't have to renew my license until 2014. I'm not looking forward to it ... but it's got to be done. ;-)

Joyce said...

I will hate giving up this license when the time comes because a) it is one of the best pictures I've ever taken and b) I likely will not be able to pass without glasses either. Ugh.