Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A December Hodgepodge

A little Wednesday Hodgepodge for this December day. Go on over to Joyce's blog and play along. Or you can just read through all those who linked up. Or both.


1.  Share your traditions surrounding the Christmas stocking.
When I was growing up we spent most Christmas Eves at my grandfather's 1919 farm house.There was no fireplace, so we hung Grandpa's socks (with a red heel and toe -- think sock monkey) in the drawers of the built-in buffet in the dining room. We would wake up early and try to sneak down the squeaky stairs. We knew the outside edges of the stairs weren't quite as squeaky and tried to descend by walking along the edges. The stockings always had an orange and a chocolate bar and sometimes a silver dollar.
When I was in junior high, my mom made some stockings for us four kids for their house. She used red felt and scraps from all the clothing she (and us girls) had made over the years. A few years later I made some for my mom and dad and then have made umpteen more as the family grew. My sister has taken over the last several years. Here's a picture of my parents' fireplace. You can see how packed that fireplace is behind my great-niece. (Or is it grand-niece? I still don't know!)
I believe there are twenty-five stockings hanging there.
Here's a closer up, but not very good because it's cropped photo. The girl stockings have mostly flowered fabrics and the boy stockings are checks and plaids and stripes.

I made stockings the first year we were married. The names are candy-cane designed letters crossed stitched on.
 I have enough of that red fabric to make one more stocking...just in case.

Sometimes we don't just hang our stockings on the fireplace.

We haven't always had a fireplace to hang them on. For years we used a peg board (that we are currently using to hand our coats on in the mud room). We have even packed these in a suitcase and taken them to Christmases we celebrated in New Zealand and Australia. I always put a candy-cane in the stockings and we wrap the little gifts (mostly because it's way too tempting to peek inside). We typically open our stockings the night before we open presents. The specific day we do that changes every year. We haven't continued with the stockings with the kids since they were married. I'm the one who made that decision and recently, I've been wondering if that was the right decision. Maybe we need to have a family talk about that this Christmas when we are all together.

2.  How many hours of sleep do you average at night?  Is it enough?

I get anywhere from 7 to 9 hours of sleep at night. The closer to 9 hours of sleep, the more rested I feel. I am blessed to not have to get up early for anything in particular, so I typically sleep until I wake up. I spent a lot of years getting up early with my kids and since I am nothing close to a morning person, the fact that I get to sleep until whenever in the morning is bliss.

3.  If you had to give up one thing for the remainder of this year what would it be?

Give up something this time of year? Isn't that what New Year's resolutions are for?

4.  The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (or Wills and Kate as I like to call them) have announced they're expecting a baby. Do you follow news of the Royals?
Not really. (Sorry, Joyce.) I just hear whatever is said on the news.

5.  For me,  the sound of childhood is__________________.

LEGOS clinking together, coloring, laughter, a boy bounding down the stairs, a girl humming, grilled cheese sandwiches cooking (and likely being burned on one side), macaroni and cheese being stirred,  a piano, saxophone and trumpet being played, snuggles on nights filled with thunderstorms.

6.  Fruit cake-yay or boo? What's your favorite dessert made with fruit?

Yay! My mom always makes fruitcake and I really like it. She forgets that I like and thinks my brother is the only one who likes it. :) I hope she makes it this year... (Mom?) I should look to see if it's in our family cookbook. If it isn't, then I need to copy the recipe next time I am at my parents' house.
Favorite dessert made with fruit.... I made a cherry pie a few weeks ago that was particularly yummy.

7. What is one thing you want to accomplish before 2012 comes to an end?
I want to read The Hobbit. Hubby has convinced me I need to read it before we see the movie. Today I just finished the last book in a series and set The Hobbit on my nightstand. I have ten days before the movie comes out.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Here's my son and sweet daughter-in-law showing off their Hobbit feet. Maybe I'll know more of what the heck they are talking about when I get done with that book. (And see the movie.) (See previous question.)

12 comments:

J.Day said...

The Hobbit feet are cute. I've never read J.R.R. Tolkien's books, but I did see the Lord of the Rings trilogy and enjoyed it (even if my butt did go numb in theaters lol).

retired not tired said...

I haven't read the Hobbit either. Not much into fantasy. Loved your stocking story. I knit stockings for my kids.

Kara said...

Those stockings are wonderful! The hobbit feet made me giggle. I haven't read the books myself, but I'd like to someday.

Hootin Anni said...

I loved, loved, LOVED reading about the grandpa's socks and the squeaky stairs...isn't it great to be a kid? And being a kid at heart during this time of year, no matter if you're 9 or 90...it's a great happy time.

Joyce said...

I read The Hobbit in highschool and I loved it. I have never been big on the fantasy genre but I loved that book. I should probably re-read and see how it hits me now. I'm sure we'll see the movie-my hubs cannot stand the Gollum character, but the girls will want to see it so he'll go.

Love all those stockings hanging!

Jocelyn said...

Your great-niece is super cute! Loving the hobbit feet! :)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Look at all those stockings! Wow!

I am not a fan of the fantasy genre either, but perhaps I should give the Lord of the Rings trilogy a try?

I used to think that I was NOT a morning person ... but that was back when I was working. I'd stay up waaaay late trying to get everything done and then have some "me" time ... so of course I wasn't anywhere close to ready to get up when the alarm clock went off. Now that I have more time to get stuff done, I find myself falling into a routine of getting to bed at a more "typical" time and getting up early in the morning ... and I love the early mornings! I've been sleeping a little longer with this cold, and I'm missing my early mornings. ;-)

Rebecca said...

Oh, do read The Hobbit! My kids and I read it together over the summer, it was absolutely wonderful. :)

Madonna said...

I watched the old Hobbit movies over and over again but have never read the books. Which is odd considering what a reader I am. Love your stockings. I used to have a stocking that a former landlady gave me when I was a little girl but lost all my Christmas stuff in an accident so since then I have bought a few stockings. Just haven't found the right one yet. If I were crafty I would try to make one. I love the candy cane lettering you did.

April said...

I want a pair of those Hobbit feet...how cute! Never read the book myself. I really enjoyed your stocking story...love those adorable stockings!

Elizabeth Sara said...

The Hobbit is a good book, but it's the only J.R.R. Tolkien book I've read. Visiting from the Hodgepodge!

Theresa said...

Beautiful stockings and story to go with it :) I sometimes forget to give everyone their stockings so maybe I will switch to doing them on Christmas Eve night- that is a great idea :)