So...
In keeping with my theme lately of quilting and sewing projects.... I'll finish this post that I had already uploaded the pictures when I was at home.
I receive an email newsletter from a small quilt shop about 20 miles from my house. Once, when looking through the shop's website, I noticed a little blurb at the bottom about renting a machine (die-cutter) they have for cutting shapes out of several layers of fabric at a time.
So I drove myself over there to ask about using it. I ended up renting it for a month's period of time. I could go to the shop and use it any number of times for the four weeks (for the ridiculously cheap cost of $10).
I dug through my stash and found a ton of Christmas fabric. I also have quite a bit of blue and yellow fabrics I bought a long time ago for a project that I decided to not do. Out came the iron and I ironed all those pieces and headed to the quilt shop.
This is what the cutter looks like. I was cutting 5 inch squares. You can make out the outline of eight squares on the die in the picture below.
I layered about four or five pieces of fabrics on the die....
.....placed a thick piece of plastic over it all, and rolled it through some rollers....
.....and POOF! Five inch squares! (And some scraps. But in the quilting world, scraps are good!)
Just look at that stack! It would have taken me hours to do all that with a rotary cutter. I have two stacks like this and I did them in under an hour!
Now, if you know me, you won't be surprised if you get a quilted table runner for Christmas,
now will you?
3 comments:
And now imagine life BEFORE a rotary cutter! Eww! I remember my grandma and her pile of cereal box cardboard templates...
That makes quick work! Scrapbook stores have the same machine many times. (Picture the Pages does) so keep that in mind for appliques and flannel boards!
A quilted Christmas table runner sounds great to me : )
Funny you should speak of quilts. I saw a pic of a quilt today that reminded me of you. I will post it somewhere so you can see it...maybe pinterest because then you can pin it and the instructions if you like.
Post a Comment