Monday, January 23, 2012

Cooking

I like to cook.

Lately I have been working on using up some things I've had on hand for a while. Last week I made some brownies and realized after I had it all mixed together that the chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and chopped walnuts (those were all in my freezer and needed to be used) were supposed to be a topping. As in put on the top of the batter after it is poured into the baking pan. Oops. (They still tasted quite good.)

Tonight I made "Gingery Pork Meatballs with Noodles."(It was amazing!)
 After I had the meatballs in the oven, I saw that the recipe said to refrigerate the meat mixture for 30 minutes. And after we had finished eating I saw the sliced green onions that were to be a garnish sitting on the counter. Oops again!

That reminds me of a M*A*S*H* episode where Hawkeye and Trapper John are diffusing a bomb. They are following directions that someone is yelling across the compound to them. The directions are something like "Locate the red wire. Snip the red wire. {they snip it} But first, cut the black wire." They dive away to have the bomb explode with propaganda papers.

That's how I've felt like I've been reading these recipes lately. **Sigh**

2 comments:

Sandy Cutshall said...

Many years ago a couple of my children (I will not name them) read the recipe for Puppy Chow...and dumped the ingredients all together without melting the chocolate first. It was edible, but....they learned how to read through the recipe first! And I'm sure we all have those stories to share about our own blunders. We just don't have our own blog!

Drew and Rachel said...

mmm a little Asian. looks tasty.
It was really interesting to see how you made the quilt too, more complicated that I thought (I know nothing about sewing).